71 Super update, and a question.

Hello All,

It Idles!! I have power too, it runs as good now as it did before the oil leak problems. but not quite as good as it did when I got it, but it does sound better than it ever has. it will still get up to around 70mph though :-) (I should actualy put the deck-lid/licence plate back before I drive it too much...hehehehe)

I adjusted my valves yesterday, there was no clearence on any of them. I put them at 0.006in. I'm going to re-check the timming this week, then check the valves again after 100 miles or so. I'll be putting electronic ignition in it with a new svda dizzy next month(along with new coil,plug wires etc.). I'll also be getting studded tires for it, and some kind of heater :-), which brings me to a question:

Has anyone ever put an electric oil pan/block heater on a beetle?? I'd like to have it for when the temp this winter drops to -30F through -50F.

-- Later, Gary Blessing (insert whity comment here)

Reply to
Ace

Sounds a bit odd that any of the valves did not have any clearance. How much did you have to open the adjusters to make clearance?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

less than half a turn to get clearence, and probably another half or three qarters to get the adjustment.

why?

Gary

Reply to
Ace

Was your engine stone cold when you adjusted or did you have driven=20 it the same day?=20

I was just wondering, that if all the valves were tight, there might be something wrong in the procedure or they have been adjusted=20 wrong last time.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Yes it was cold, it had sat aprox 39 hours. well I used the procedure in my Chilton manual-find tdc of no1,do no1,rotate crank 180 degrees counter clockwise,do no2, ETC....

They could have been done wrong the last time.... the previouse owner said he didn't know anything about cars....actually I remeber him saying that he hadn't done much to the engine, so he might not have touched them in the year he had it. so that could be at least 2 years since they were done... I hope it didn't hurt the engine too much.

Gary

Was your engine stone cold when you adjusted or did you have driven it the same day?

I was just wondering, that if all the valves were tight, there might be something wrong in the procedure or they have been adjusted wrong last time.

Reply to
Ace

Compression test will tell you if it has.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I have a NOS 220V block heater still in it's box, cant remember the make, think it is Swedish or Finish, Calix?

Let me know if you are interested.

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Some years back I used an oil heater on my '66 Bug. It was not much more than an electrical hot plate which replaced the usual oil sump cover. And it worked perfectly. And this was in a 6vt Bug and with temps that went to -40f. Also it was the days before decent multi- weight oils, and I had 30w in the Bug for most of the winter; this due to the amount of highway driving I was doing.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt