73 bus, engine noise, oil light

I hear a knocking sound like a rocker hitting push rod or valve, so I checked and adjusted valves. Still makes the noise. Valves are all at .006

doesn't make the noise at low RPM, but as soon as I put a load on the engine, the noise begins to gain volume.

after checking valves, oil light has come on a few times. Plenty of oil in the case.

when I changed the oil last week, there were chunks of valve cover gasket in the oil screen (any other engine gaskets made of cork?)

the bus is new to me, the valve cover gaskets were in OK condition when I bought it. No chunks out of them. It looks nice and clean under the covers.... hmm. no oil dripped out when I checked the valves. Is this normal on these engines? I know the type II engines have oil sitting in the cover when you remove it, and it makes a mess.

Perhaps the previous owner had a valve cover gasket blow, and chunks got in the engine? Blocking oil passages in case, not allowing oil to flow to the oil pressure sensor? This engine has an oil filter.

if this is the case, how can I flush the blockage in the oil passages in the case, and should I troubleshoot the problem?

Jen

Reply to
jboothbee