73 Super - Hard Restart

When I drive my 73 super for a while, then stop (say, to go to the store for ~20 minutes), then try to start it again, it intermittently will start very hard. I end up having to keep the ignition cranked over and give it a good amount of gas. It ultimately starts, but it's obviously not the best solution. I'm quite green to beetle ownership - any suggestions on where to start looking for a fix to this?

Reply to
tom.patros

Standard procedure for a hot restart is gas to the floor and keep it there while cranking.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Eduardo is correct. To the floor and don't pump it.

The hot re-start problem is caused by flooding due to high temperatures in the engine bay. For a novice, "live with it" would be my advice.

Oh....and don't park facing UP-hill; that can make it much worse.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I have seen this problem. Sounds more to me like a carb problem.

Have a friend manually choke it at these times to see if this helps. Maybe the choke is working OK when its real cold but needs to be at these times.

You shouldn't have to crank that long before it pops off, but you may have to hold the peddle down like others mentioned.

Reply to
Henderson

First, thank you all for the ideas - I love this newsgroup!

Second, since the temperatures have started dropping in the mornings here in upstate New York, I've been having harder and harder cold starts in the morning. I hate to have to hammer on the gas to get it started because I know it's going to ultimately kill the engine.

Henderson mentioned potential carb issues - what should my steps by to test and possible fix? Or wiil I get in over my head on this problem? Should I accept this behaviour, or can it be remedied?

I don't intend to drive the car all winter, but I'd like to keep it on the road until the end of October. These cold mornings are killing my start-ups though...

Thanks again everyone!

Reply to
tom.patros