'73 SuperBeetle Brakes

I am having a problem with the brakes on my '73 Super Beetle. The brake light always comes on when I press the pedal, although I know that all four brakes are engaging and there is not a pull to either side. The brake pedal felt firm as well. Yesterday I replaced the front shoes and the light is still coming on, but now I have a spongy pedal that will get more firm if you pump it. Also the brakes are pulling to the left side on the front now. I never had the brake system open and cannot understand why I have a spongy pedal now after just replacing shoes. Any ideas on either the the light coming on prior to the brake job or the spongy/pulling problem I'm having now? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Did you adjust the frt shoes after you installed them? from the back side you need to use a flat screwdriver and adjust the shoes by turning out the star adjusters. I'm sure if you Google " brake adjustment" you will find more in depth instructions an this.

Mario Vintage Werks Restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

Two parts:

1) The "brake" light is a warning light. Supposed to tell if one circuit fails (you knew that).

Often the light will come on erroneously when the stop light switches (on the Master cylinder) are failing. Very common problem. The switches are hard to get to and replacements are junque. As long as your actual Stop Lights are working, I would leave well enough alone for now.

2) New shoes will not conform to the diameter of the drum. that's why the pedal feels spongy; the shoes are only touching in a few spots. Keep adjusting them weekly and they will wear in in a month or so. It is not a problem with "air in the lines".

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim