73 vw hood stuck

Read all the messages about what to do to keep the hood from sticking shut again but how do you get it open in the first place? The lever releases in the summer time and sticks in the winter. I need to get it open now. Any advice?

Thanks.

jq

Reply to
jequeen

Have a helper pull on the release cable.

You operate the hood button and push/pull violently.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

what if that fails to work?

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Ahem. Then you get out the trusty hacksaw and make 2 cuts in the handle so that it can be unscrewed. The latch then falls away.

Last resort...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

oops !!!

I should have asked on here :-)

I cut round the handle with an angle grinder 8-/

Rich

Reply to
tricky

very little viuolence needed:

Helped pulls the release cable, you go to the front and place one hand on the handle & button, and the other hand about a foot up on the hood from the handle. PUSH IN firmly with the upper hand, pull out and up with the lower hand (while pushing the button of course). Works the same for earlier, non-button models.

This is usually enough to pop it open.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

If you opt for this, cover the paint surface with something to protect it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

HaHa - what - protect from the angle grinder - or me ;-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Lock up one of the following three at all times, out of reach, and your VW should be ok:

1.Your VW 2.Angle Grinder 3.Rich

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

What Jan said.

The worst stuck I ever encountered was early hood/body with no rubber... The retaining lip caught "something", deadlock got a new meaning.

This is when you need body mass or three people. One to pull the cable, one to push down on the middle of the hood, one to pull down and out on the handle. Be violent, it WILL give, plenty of foul language also helps..

J.

Ps. Did I mention violence??

Reply to
Berg