74 Ghia Conv with A/C

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of restoring a 74 Ghia conv that has been sitting for years. We're at the point where we're pulling the engine and tranny and noticed it has A/C. Appears to be stock, I can't image this was a common option. It is missing at least the compressor, it appears to have been cut out. Are they still available, or are they as rare as hen's teeth. Should I even bother trying to track down all the stuff I'll need to complete the A/C or should I just bail on it?

Any information is GREATLY appreciated, I have some pics if that would help.

Please reply directly to my email.

Thanks again, Brian snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net

Reply to
Jackal24

I'd suggest checking out type2.com's articles on AC compressors; there's some information there on replacing them, and that may be relevant to you. Unfortunately for me, the condenser coils are also missing on my squareback; I'd love to be able to install a compressor and use the A/C (the hoses and blowers are still there).

Reply to
mez

...you guys both might want to talk with the folks at Gilmor eenterprises if you want to run moder compressors etcc on your vintage VW...

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian