'75 1800 cc. pancake with Syntehtic oil?

Hello,

Firstly, thanks for previous info offered on other subjects recently! They have been most helpful.

I am wondering if putting full synthetic oil in the 1800cc aircooled bus will cause any problems with the old type eengine seals. It runs nicely now, and doesnt use oil, (dripping, or burning). I just wouldnt want to disturb it, and cause problems if it doesnt like it.

Thanks again,

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Nope, no problems with seals. There are debates on the different synth oils ability to transfer heat though.

Check this site:

And Mr. Raby has done some research:

Then there is the ultimate T4 site:
Enjoy!

J.

Reply to
Berg

It is unlikely to cause any problems. We've all heard the stories about synthetics causing leaks, and I think I read an actual report about a problem with a very early blend of Mobil 1, but I've never seen it happen. Everyone agrees it's better--just more expensive. Since you've got an oil filter, go ahead and run it. With these aircooled engines its a nice safetly net. I'd feel safe going 5 or 6k between changes like that, if you're watching the temps.

Just my opinions of course.

Peace, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

'Tain't the same thing, of course, but Mobil recalled it's synthetic aviation oil because of problems in air-cooled Continental and Lycoming

4-bangers. I don't remember the details, but I seem to recall there were some issue with cam wear or some such.

Now, the aircraft engine isn't a VW, and it probably works harder, but I think I'd be wary.

Henry Bibb

Reply to
Henry Q. Bibb