79 vert Ball joint, Tie Rod questions

First I want to thank this group for the help and answers to questions that may seem obvious,but for a first time BUG owner like me it helps a ton!! Now my question. My project is a 79 Vert, and today I had the old ball joints pressed out and new ones pressed in to the control arms. The ball joints don't have grease fittings, so do I need to lubricate these, and if so how? Same on the tie rod ends, rubber boots but what about grease?? Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 03:06:34 GMT, "Craig" ran around screaming and yelling:

they *do* have lube....it is in it when you get it...if you feel uncomfortable you can actually remove the boot(if it is secured with teh springy circular type bootclamp, thingy...LOL) and see the grease...even add some if you feel the need...but they are refered to as "sealed units" that are "lifetime lubed" or some such claims...the life of the joints will actually hinge on how good the quality of the rubber boots are...once they are torn, contaminates(dirt, water, etc) will get into the joint and cause eventual failure....not sure if manufacturers went to this type of unit because they know they won't last as long as a unit that *can* be greased or because most people are too damn lazy to lube them anyway...who knows.... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Guys, This is EXACTLY why I drilled and tapped my new ball joints and tie rods for grease fittings. The boots on my old ones lasted about 6months. The new German ones I got ($) from Wolfsburg West have really good boots on them. With regular maintenance, these should last a while.

El Paso Bob

71 1776 Baja with Kads AND vac dizzy
Reply to
The Joneses

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:39:31 GMT, The Joneses ran around screaming and yelling:

Bob, that is a great idea....probably something that *should* be done...provided the owner will actually use them reguarly... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani