98 Passat - Oil light troubles

I've been having problems with my 98 Passat. Last winter, the oil light began flashing on cold mornings (below freezing). It only happened in the morning - I could go to work, the car would sit for 8 hours and the light would not come on later in the day when I got in to drive home, even if it was very cold outside.

Then, the oil light started coming on when I would idle for a period of time, most times this was in a drive-thru window so I began to think that maybe it involved idling with the wheel turned sharply to the left, and, oddly enough, with the drivers side window down. But I could never produce this on-demand.

Now that's it's beginning to get colder, the oil light is starting to come on each morning, even though our fall mornings are in the upper

60's.

Also, when I start the car, you can hear the engine tapping for about twenty seconds.

Now, occasionally the light comes on when I'm just driving normally.

No mechanic has properly diagnosed the problem. One suggested that I had sludge, so they put some solvent in a cleaned my oil system, but this hasn't seemed to help.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Matt Walter

Does it have water in the radiator?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

On 23 Sep 2003 14:15:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Matt Walter) began spewing the following from their cake-hole:

Normally in my VW when the oil likght comes on that means it's running hot. Make sure there are no leaves and stuff stuck up in your fan housing and that all of your engine tin is in place. Also make sure the fan belt isn't slipping and that you're running a good weight oil for your car. I use 20W50. You may want to check to see if you have a single or dual relief case and pull the relief piston thingie(s) out and clean out the bores to be sure the pressure relief pistons can freely move up and down in the bores. Another cause for overheating could be if your timing is incorrectly adjusted. If you have a vacuum advance distributor then you're probably ok to set the timing statically but if you have a 009 then you'll wanna do the timing setting at maximum advance. I hope some of this helps! *innocent smartass grin* If it doesn't then maybe check with the watercooled VW group since you have a watercooled VW. *cough cough*

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis