A couple of "after" pics of the '64 after installing new coil-over rear shocks

hope you are not planning to drive it like that? The way the tires lean out at the top make it dangerous to drive, likely to lose traction or tip over in turns.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Oh how quickly we forget the LCB that I drove daily for years. :-)

Reply to
Shag

Not forgotten, you had the same problem wit the LCB but bigger tires made it a little less dangerous, not to mention you probably didn't do a whole lot of high speed turns on paved roads. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

The driveability suffers. It wasn't intended to run like that.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Jan is perfectly right. It is dangerous to drive it like that, the first time it wants to tuck, you'll soil your shorts, it happens so fast there is no time to react. If you are lucky it will not roll, but go into a skid you will not be able to recover from..

You need to lower it a tad so you regain correct camber.

Not slamming you Travis, just trying to make you understand the consequence.

You can try this out in a safe manner by finding a large open paved space, preferably flat. Start going in cicles, slowly increasing speed. When you reach the critical point you will feel a sudden drop of the outwards rear corner. This is when the tire collapses going onto its sidewall making the car skid. The rim will then hit the ground and if/when it catches, over you go..

J.

Reply to
Berg

Ps. Looks good, is that the original paint? I always preferred the unrestored look compared to the high $ resto jobs.

J.

Reply to
Berg

Well I thought (but didn't say - till now) the same as everyone else....

nice looking orig 64 :)

but !

sort the back end out ;)

I did/do assume Shaggy knew/knows right well the risk, after all his years on RAMVA ! but I guess the other side is - if you have concern and dont say, how would you feel if anything happened to the ShagMeister 8-0

you ride - your call dude !

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

So what y'all are telling me is that if I had some larger tires on the rear like I had on the LCB that the mass of them would help to counteract the tilting effect... Hmmm... Well, both rear fenders *are* dented up pretty badly... And I do have 2 replacement rear fenders in the garage, so I guess I could trim the dented fenders up a little bit to eliminate the dents in them and give me extra clearance so that I could fit some over-sized tires back there.... And if I wanted to go back to stock, I could just put the stock wheels/ tires back on and put on the replacement (un-dented) fenders that I have in the garage. Hmmm... That _is_ what y'all are saying, right? :-)

Reply to
Shag

Nope, on the LCB you had reversed the rims at the back or rims with different offset, yes? That will give you more "leverage" and the car will in fact lower because of this, and some of the positive camber reduced.

The simplest way is to lower it a tad, have you mounted coilovers in the rear? If so you could replace them with gas filled shocks, which will raise the chassis a bit, but not as much as the coilovers. Or you could trim the coil springs shorter.

I have been trying to find a link to "Flop stops" but cant find them online any more. Basically they are a very cheap form of insurance against axel tuck. They limit the downward travel of the rear spring plates. They bolt on to the spring plate right at the front where the positive stop is, hence limiting the downward travel. I have them on Felatio, thought I bought them from Aircooled.net but they seem to no longer carry them.

J.

Reply to
Berg

I had reversed the rims on the front of the car to give it a wider stance and was running oversized rims on the rear to accomodate the

31" truck tires... Of course if I ran oversized tires on the '64 then I'd have to have oversized rims for them, too... I set up something like you describe on the LCB. I attached a length of chain on each side to limit how far down the axles would travel. I had one end attached to the top of the shock and the other end was attached to... something else that I can't remember. :-) I did that because the axle boots kept getting pinched against the frame-horns... because I'd re-indexed the spring plates on the torsion bar thingie... that's what gave me the extra lift in the rear on the LCB, rather than coil- over shocks like I'm running right now...
Reply to
Shag

Yes, limiting straps(chains in you case :) ) does the exact same thing as Flop Stops. You could just weld a little metal strip to the positive stop and get the same effect.

J.

Reply to
Berg

^^^ x 2

I'm tellin' ya, Shag, go class 11:

Fix it up nice like that then sell it to me ....... cheap, real cheap. ;-)

Reply to
Scott H

Not the original paint, but looks to be at least 20 years old or so. I'm pretty sure it's the original color but the car is dinged up all over the place and there is some bondo showing in a few places where the paint has peeled. Still it's in pretty good shape. Except for those cracks.... hmm... near the left rear wheel... I noticed them when I was putting on the coil-over shock on that corner. Maybe I should take some pictures and ask y'all if they look like they're only cosmetic or if they are a structural problem. Wow, that car in the pics linked above has has got some serious ground clearance!

Reply to
Shag

Pretty neat... love the ground clearance on that bug!

Reply to
dragenwagen