-- a litte more ELECTRICAL/FUSE b'ness --

I had a little thread going here a week or so ago about a situation involving repeatedly blowing the #11 fuse in a '75 Bus. The feedback was GREAT and a few people mentioned the hazard lights or turn indicators as likely candidates for a short. I went out and turned on the hazard lights and '!SNAP!' went the #7 (or 8?) fuse ... it immediately blew with the hazard switch turned on. Could this be related to the #11 going out over and over again? Before flipping the hazard light switch I tried just the turn indicators and they were weird and slow and palsied. Seems like this is the neighborhood of the short .. or problem. On a '71 bus that I drove for YEARS there was a little aluminum 'cube' attacked to the fuse-box that was responsible for the on/off/on/off of the turn-lights and the hazard lights. When that went funky both would suffer ... but a new box simply plugged right back in would take care of it. I find no such relay-switch-box here in my '75. Anyway ... should I just pull the wires -- assuming I can locate/isolate them to the hazard lights? Or is there some kind of 'relay-switch-housing' as there was on my '71 that I'm not seeing? (where would that be?) Or ... ???? Thanks! Terry

Reply to
Terry

Fuse #8 does indeed run the Hazards.

Both Hazard and Turn Signal use the same flasher (i.e., there is only ONE flasher). So, if Turn Signals work, the flasher is OK. (Flasher = on/off/on/off)

AND.....Hazards and Turn Signals both use the very same wiring and bulbs! So, if one works, the other should.

If I were to "hazard" a guess, I'd bet the switch is bad.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

"if I were to "hazard" a guess, I'd bet the switch is bad."

and where is that switch located? [no .. turn signals were suffering ... ]

Terry

That's the red knob you pull out for 4-Way Hazards. P/N 111 953 235G (same as Beetle)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

THANK YOU MR. JIM! ((aka 'speedy'))

:] T