About Grinder consumables - No, not about heros, subs, hoagie, gyros, poorboys, etc.. :)

A while back I bought a DeWalt grinder (4 1/2" 5/8 spindle) and it was a particularly good deal, because it came with a bunch of grinder- and cutoff wheels. For good measure, I bought several contractor boxes of these wheels. DeWalt makes good tools - This thing has very little vibration, slow start, not too noisy. It is a great tool.

I had over 50 of these cut off wheels so thought I was set for a while.

Boy, was I wrong: I've been going through cut off wheels like a fat kid through cake, so needed to replenish the supply the other day.

To my surprise, 4 1/2 " 5/8 spindle cut off wheels are very hard to find locally (Sears, Lowes and Home Depot - nada). On the other hand, 4 1/2" wheels 7/8 spindle can be found like empty beer cans at a frat house - everyone and their mother has them, seems like. The 5/8 spindle type I did find were over $6 a piece(!) and lasted less than a half hour.

I ended up buying a new cheap ($30) grinder with a 7/8 spindle. The cut off wheels are under $2 at home depot and lowes.

So the moral of this story is, before you buy stuff, to make sure you can find consumables locally and at a decent price.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Odd Remco.....i have the same grinder i use for work.....i have no trouble finding any discs or wire wheels for it....i even have several diamond blades for assorted uses(cultured marble, masonry, ceramic tile).... before i bought a new grinder i'd have gotten a new backing plate for the discs...it has the centering ring on it....my old dewalt actually came with both, the 5/8 and 7/8 backing plate... is this what you use?

i'd also suggest that if you have a local welding supply you check there for discs(grinding or cutting) in bulk...usually much cheaper that way...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks - good suggestions.

Yup - those are the exact disks I had. The lowes web site shows that they sell them, but the Lowes near me definitely does not stock them (I asked). I should have just order a couple of boxes weeks ago from Amazon or Weldingsupply, but I was stupid. Today I looked in my box and found only one left - guess I've been having too much fun so forgot all about it. So after I ground the last one down to nothing, I drove to two Sears, two Depots and one Lowes today. Welding supply stores are of course closed on Saturday.

My DeWalt only came with the one 5/8 backing plate. I asked at both Lowes and Home Depot whether they could order different backing plates for this thing but they said their catalog didn't show any.

It is handy to have two as I don't have to change discs when doing stuff (cutting with one, wire brushing with the other before welding). Having the cheap one next to the DeWalt, I can see a big difference. The DW has a lot less vibration and is much quieter - a much better tool, for sure.

Reply to
Remco

yes it is......i have one in my workvan, and four for bodywork and such...one has a wire brush, one has a grinding disc(1/4 thick), one has a flap type sanding disc, and one for the cutting wheels.(i do use the 1/8 metal cutting discs though)....i have many grinders because i am a former pipe/pressure vessel welder........needed them...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yeah, good tools make all the difference. I usually investigate what would work best for me and spend for the best I can afford. You get what you pay for. Which leads me to a next question:

Chris, since you've done a lot of body work, I wonder what you think of HVLP sprayers? I have a 6HP 30 gallon compressor able to do 90 SCFM at 90 PSI. I've sprayed urethane on wood cabinets (woodworking is another hobby) with it and that works quite well - it does give the compressor a decent workout, though. A car is probably a different story.

So I'd like to eventually get a decent gun or system and was looking at those Fuji and Accuspray turbine sprayers. They don't require a compressor. They run around $500-$800, from what I've seen. On theSamba others suggested looking at Iwata guns as they require little pressure so I could possibly use it with my compressor without too much grief.

What do you think is the most versatile so I can spray my bug (paint and clear) and yet also use it to spray my wood projects? I am just investigating it for now so am not in a huge hurry to get a system right now - maybe in a couple of months or so. Tia. Remco

Reply to
Remco

i come from a family chock full of bodymen.....my father in law is a bodyman...i, am no bodyman...i can do bodywork, but i'm no bodyman....i will spray my ghia this summer, and possibly my bug this winter...i will use my nearly 15 year old devilbliss gun.... old school gun....don't know much about the hvlp guns at all....even less about the turbine systems....i did see your post at thesamba, but did not post due, to my lack of knowledge....i still do bodywork the way i was taught...unfortunately that means i an not up to date....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Ok, I wasn't sure. Thanks. I am definitely no bodyman - learning, but not anywhere near knowing what I am doing yet..

Reply to
Remco