Accelerator Cable Disaster

on the way home my acceleratpor cable snapped. or i think it did. also there is a snapped spring onthe left hand side of the clutch pedal.

i know its a huge job, but i must get this thing replaced before the end of the weekend. so what must i do to replace the accelerator cable?

I'm unsure what the spring on the left does. i can't see a reason why it should exist, and i presume it needs to be replaced also. i need to know how to do this as well.

all assistence is welcomed. Dieter

Reply to
Hartmann

Piece of cake. Mine broke the other day and it took only a few minutes to replace.

If there is any of the cable showing by the pedal, put a vice-grip on it. Detach cable from the carb linkage and try to pull it through and out the back. If it does come out, then pull the rest out through the front with the vice-grip. (See, it's a bit nasty sometimes to pull a broken part into the tube.)

Install new one from the pedal side. Grease it lightly. Push it through. Fasten to pedal (The cable probably has a 'jog' at the end that just slips into the pedal hole.) Crawl under so you can see where it's coming out of the body and guide it up into the tube that runs through the fan shroud. Pull from the back and fasten to the carb linkage.

That 'extra spring' you see by the pedal is normal. It's more obvious when the pedal flops backwards because the cable is not holding it up.

Reply to
jjs

After you fix it quick, get a super 'bulletproof' cable from aircooled.net.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Lost mine recently too, this was by far the most annoying part because the metal piece that the cable exits from by the carb popped out of the tube that goes between the tunnel and the firewall, couldn't for the life of me reassmeble it with all four tires on the ground.

Needed to adjust the brakes anyways so I pulled out the jacks and made an evening out of it. :P

Mine was easy to field repair because it snapped at the metal piece that hooks into the pedal, pulled out some bailing wire and a butt connector, was on the road again in under 5 minutes.

Woulda been a great workout if it snapped in the middle, considering it's uphill the whole way home.

Reply to
Seth Graham