Adjustable axle notches

Hi,

Do the centre adjusters need to be on matching notches top and bottom axle tube (i.e. in the same position)?

When I moved mine, I adjusted them (in unison) from where they had individually settled.

Just wanted to check I have it right before moving on to something else.

Cheers Spike

Reply to
Spike

If the adjusters where installed in the same angle for the two axles, then yes they should be on the same notch.

But in general, you want the adjuster screw to be in the same angle from horizontal for both tubes. You can make a reference mark and measure the distance on the circumference of the tubes.

The purpose of this is to equalize the weight of the front of the car on both suspension arms. So that the torsion leaves in one of the two tubes are not over-stressed and settle to a lower position or even break. Also the bearings inside the beam where the suspension arms pivot in, are stressed less if the two tubes are adjusted to the same angle.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Thanks Bill,

Checked them out and they are at the same angle.

Just need to work out why it won't sit level now.

Cheers Spike

Reply to
Spike

If the car doesn't sit level (left to right) it's usually caused by the rear suspension (unless the front of the car is bent during a colision). Drive the car on level gound, forward for some distance, then check again. The ground must be completely level.

You might have to set the rear spring plate angles to balance the car. Installing a rear camber compensator also makes the car sit more level (and a bit lower to the back).

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

Ï "Spike" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news:Aggbi.661$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net...
Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Thanks,

I have tried two separate torsion bars, and the axle seems level on the frame so am hoping it's something at the back throwing things out.

If I level the suspension at the rear with a jack that should provide an indication if the problem is at the back I'd assume.

Thanks Spike

Reply to
Spike

The jack won't help, because you need to drive the car so that the suspension settles to the new position.

If you know the front suspension and the front of the car had not had any major collisions, then you just need to adjust the back. The back is adjusted for each side separately, and the front adjusts both sides together. The front suspension is level by design.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I jacked up the saggy DS rear just to satisfy my curiosity.....

It evened out the car all the way around.

Thanks for the pointers, I know what I'll be doing the weekend now!

Spike

Reply to
Spike