After Market bumpers rust like mad!!

I replaced my 74 bumpers with what is called triple chrome plated at extra cost. Left out in the rain they started to rust. You must keep several coats of wax on the bumpers. The bottoms where I did not wax is now completely rusted. Just a warning. If you can get a good set of original bumpers. Spend the money and get them rechromed. The original are heavier and better made.

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

True words indeed! Nothing beats a factory set of bumpers - last for years and years.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I had boughta front oneof those triple plated bumpers for a 79 convertable that I was restoring after the gentelman ran in the back of a Volvo. I wouldn't even think about putting it on the car after I pulled it out of the package. Your right the best choicefor all VW bumpers is to spend the extra money, about $280 to have them rechromed oh and I convinced him to go with a disc brake conversion also.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Some French and british cars of the 60's had stainless steel bumpers.. I have a few that are practically like new, despite having spent most of their lives out in the elements. Why oh why didn't VW do that.... grrrrr.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

also, spray paint the back side of those same bumpers, you'll be glad you did!

Reply to
vwluvrs

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:54:51 +0200, Jan scribbled this interesting note:

Anyone have a line on a shop that will form stainless and build bumpers to specification???

We have some ideas floating around that might make some really nifty bumpers for Beetles if I had a shop to do the actual fabrication!

I'd prefer they be in the D/FW area of Texas, but that isn't a strict requirement!:~)

John Willis

Wish it were that cost effective. When I redid my 55 oval I had (and still have) the original blades but the cost of rechrome (in the good old EPA friendly USA) was 5 times the cost of buying cheap (but good looking) knock offs. I bought the knock offs and yes the metal is thin, the back side rusts and the chrome pits beginning at about 2 years but at the cost of rechrome I can replace the suckers every 2-3 years and still be ahead. I didn't look at driving over the border but perhaps a decent rechrome wouldn't be that expensive in Mexico. Got the various other chrome parts on the 55 rechromed and the cost of the small parts rechrome was about 1/2 the cost of the car when new. Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

I used to have a line on some gents in Mexico that were building 'new''

*real* bumpers for the sports car guys, that were interested in doing vw ones too. But I will need to check the archives, may take a while... Google Search this newsgroup for such a topic
Reply to
vwluvrs

That's why I spent the money and got a Speical Performace Stainless Steel Muffler with duals for my T-4 engine in my T-1 car. Was not expensive $250 and I had it shipped from the U.K. to a friend in London. Then shipped it to me with a load of Elevator parts, so I did not have to pay shipping. I sliced the bumpers and they are a third the thickess.You can see it at my site with my muffler .

Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

If you checked out my bumpers I would only have to chrome the top halfs. So that would be the price of one. Hay lets not forget the after market early head light rings. Light mist and they rust. That is why I painted them the same color as my car. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

You *can* get stainless steel blade bumpers for VW's! But from what I heard, they loose their shine after a while (but they don't rust...).

Anyone ever used them before?

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Here:

£107.95 (just under ~US$200 each). They look to be triple chrome plated stainless steel.

Don't know anyone who uses them though :-P

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Sucks, doesn't it? "Triple Chrome Plated" means squat. What is needed is triple coated Copper, then Nickle, then Chrome and on both sides. So they put what they call "three coats" of some shiny crap and say the magic words.

It does help to paint the inside of the bumpers with Rustoleum (no kidding), then clear over both sides. Mine are four years old. Still looking good.

Reply to
jjs

VW also painted the insides of bumpers!

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I painted the insides and under side. Clear coat sucked because it dulled the finish and peeled in some areas. If you keep a good coat of paste wax on it, it will last. Joe