(again) electronic ignition

A local mechanic says it can be done on my bus, extreme temperature bounces here cause a point system to go fubar on various occasions. Found a golf distributor (cheap!) which has inside a little circuit board with an optocoupler. From what i see i can easily adapt that to fit a bus distributor. Then again, the mechanic tells me i need an electronic coil (what's the difference?) picked one up at a local spares shop (again cheap), looks the same as a normal coil, maybe little thicker. Electronic distributor is for golf I and II, pcb has

3 wires marked +, 0, and - Coil just + and - Can someone shed a light on the situation, as in, what to connect or modify or... I know there used to be conversion kits but not available here, only for toyota hiace minibuses, which is way to large distributor to be useful.

Bart bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Bart. The other way to do it is to pull the whole lot out of a T25. Coil and distributor. Shoves right in.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I thought about it but such parts are scarser then hen's teeth here. What i did now was i had the shaft of the golf dist milled off by a local engineering shop and mount the 2 pin adapter on the shaft of the beetle dist onto the golf dist. I am now off to the junkyard to find the wires i need. Anyone here who has the diagram of that, just in case i can't find a harnass? For the 7 pin golf II module.

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

I found that you can do a search on Google for almost any diagram that you wish. I did it for my 73 bug and also found many others. Watch out some places will want to charge for them but they can be found for free if you look hard enough.

Reply to
Packrat46