air compressor doubts

Hi All

Can anybody tell me what would be the minimum requirements of an air compressor to be used with a spray gun? I saw one for rent in a nearby warehouse but in the catalog they show somebody using it with airtools. Could I use the same compressor to paint?

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

You need VOLUME or CFM's. Depending on the type of gun you'll need 5-12 CFM's.

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (near completion)

PARTS FOR SALE:

Mel P.

What's CFM? I read on the brochure that the max. pressure is 8 bar and the flow goes up to 190l/min. Enough?

Ant

Mel P. wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Sounds like enough, but without actually converting....................

CFM = Cubic Feet / Minute

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Reply to
Douglas

I apreciate your concern and taste for a quality paint job, but I'll be selling this car soon (1 year?) and the amount I must pay for a pro in this country will be around $300 per fender + $200 bootlid + 200 aprons (assuming I do the prep). This is just a short term daily driver.

Ant

Douglas wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

I bought a 110 volt twin piston compressor , its 7.5 cubic feet per minute. I painted my 69 bug with it and didn't have any problems. It rain the paint gun just fine, it was a high pressure gun, not the newer hvlp type and it was fine. I painted it with 2000 Dodge Intense blue metallic with pearl. It was a single stage clear coat which worked fine. I wore a good mask , am I'm still alive and kickin. The compressor won't run a sand blaster continously or a buffing tool for very long. But the size of this compressor is perfect for home use as its on wheels, and very portable. A 220 volt unit would be nice, but overkill for the home user I think.

Leo

-- Leo Yudysky '68 bug '69 bug

Leo Yudysky