Air Deflector Plates Only on 1 Side

lately, I realized that there are delector plates only on top of the 3rd &

4th cylinders whereas there is none found over on the 1st & 2nd ones. Mine is a '74 Super Beetle 1600 Dual port. Could anyone help explain why it is only necessary to have air deflector plates only on one side or I just lost the ones for the other side? Regards, Jeremy
Reply to
Jeremy

"Jeremy" wrote

Take a look at this picture:

Your description is a little confusing ... It sounds like you're talking about the upper cylinder/head tin (item 3). That's what goes on *top* of the cylinders. Item 27 is what is commonly called the deflector plate, which goes on the

*bottom* of the cylinders (snaps onto the head/cylinder studs).

No matter which one you're talking about, you need *all* cooling tin on both sides ... including the little air dams that attach to the bottom of the heads:

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Belive me, after I rebuild my engine I left the bottom cooling plates off and on my first test run the engine got real hot and quit after 15 miles on the Hwy. Engine down one more time to reinstall the deflectors :- (

Reply to
Xrayjuan

Describe these plates. If these are little sheet metal squares with bent down corners that clip onto the head studs, then this is the deflector plate that should be on the UNDERSIDE of the cylinders. One on each side.

These are occasionally left off by novice engine rebuilders, but that's a very bad thing. Fix this right away.

If you're asking about something different then describe what you're looking at.

-

Jim Adney