air filter easy question

Here goes an easy question: out of the air filter of my 72 SB comes out a pipe that ends very close to the oil refiller lid. What for? what is that pipe doing there?

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

Is there a connection on the side of your oil fill pipe? There should be.

That is so oil vapors can be re-circulated through the carb, rather than released through the atmosphere. Kind of a built in crankcase breather.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

If it 's a large pipe, then it should connect via a 2" flexible (paper/foil) hose that goes down to bottom tin to the right of the pulley and attaches to another snoot that goes under the tin. It brings warm air up to the air cleaner. There should be a weighted thermostat on the air cleaner.

Reply to
jjs

No, is not that, is the one that connects to the side of the oil filler

jjs wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Yes, there is indeed a connection to the side of the oil fill. What happens if I remove this hose? there is quite an amount of "grey snot" in it.

Ant

Alan Nelson wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

The grey snot is a combination of oil vapors and moisture. Condensation forms in the crankcase as a warm engine cools. When the engine gets up to temperature, the condensation (moisture) burns off. If there is no way to vent the vapors (and suspended moisture), it will stay within the crankcase and eat away at vital engine parts such as bearings journals pistons, etc.

If you just plug the breather hose, you'll also get a build up of pressure within the crankcase which will cause oil leaks from around the main seal.

Just get a new length of hose and run it from the oil fill to the air cleaner. Or if you're going to an aftermarket air cleaner without a fitting for the breather hose, get a breather kit which will vent the vapors elsewhere.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

oooooh. visualizing problem, here.

Reply to
jjs

That tube is the Alien Slime re-router. If you remove it, then the gremlins crawl up the pushrods.

Okay, what happens is some oil vapor will wet your engine. The snot is probably an oil/water emulsion.

Reply to
jjs

jjs wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Aarg! I knew those bastards were up to something on my engine! but what if I build an Anti-Ricer-Alien-Slime-Rerouter? something like a pipe under the exhaust to leave a trail of Alien-Slime when ricers behind are busting my balls? mmmmm.........interesting

But if I close the conection at the oil filler neck?

Reply to
Ant

Crank case breather hose..

J.

Reply to
BergRace

there should be a breather hose connected in between the two

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Now why would you want to do that? VW had a reason for that thing: crank ventilation. If you have a stock oil filler cap it will act pretty much like a breather, but from time to time it will spew alien slime. Leave the FRIGGIN thing on and route down and out the engine or to the air cleaner.

Reply to
jjs

The engine will start leaking oil from behind the pulley, and pulley will then throw the oil all over the engine compartment.

Don't ask me how I know :/

Jan

Ant wrote:

Reply to