Aircooled VW sighting in a Movie

"Where Eagles Dare" was the movie and they had several Kubelwagens in the movie near the end in the chase scene. Most were rolled and destroyed by explosions. I wonder if they were true kubels or just made over Things?

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Reply to
TerryB

If it was a '50s film, they were probabally genuine ones... they weren't worth a penny then!

Later ones, from the early 1960's are usually replicas. I know the Kubelwagens in the early '60s film "A Bridge Too Far" were fibreglass replicas!

Reply to
Howard Rose

The film was made in 68, I looked at the bottoms of the ones that flipped and they had pans on them. I would not swear that they were the real deal though. It was cool to see them and know what they were. I had seen this movie when I was a child and never paid much attention to the vehicles, but now to know that some German war machines were VW's means a lot now. I find myself looking real hard to see if I can find them. The war machines are very interesting to me, I think they are very neat.

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Reply to
TerryB

The fibreglass ones were made on Beetle floorpans and running gear... one lives locally to me!

You can easily tell from the underside of the pan if it is an original one. Look at the rear pan, where the rear passengers feet would rest. Is it flat? Or is there a shallow indentation, maybe 2-3cm deep? ALL VW's from the late '40s had the deeper rear footwell indentations. Original Kubel floorpans were flat!

The one in the Indiana Jones movie (I forget which one) had the later 'pan, so was probabally a replica :-)

Reply to
Howard Rose

"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"

I have stillframes from "Where Eagles Dare" (I think!) but not "A Bridge Too Far".

Jim

Reply to
Jim O'Malley (KAMR)

Jim. You only live twice. James is walking out from some meeting or other & a car comes up & they try to shoot him. He gets rescued by some bird in a sports car, then a chase. White Beetle appears briefly soon after chase starts.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I *might* be able to get those for you, I think my friend has the film on CD...

I've got another film sighting with a VW in it. It's a Japanese film that had been dubbed into Chinese. Translated into English, the title was "Beachboys Forever". There was a Bay window campervan parked outside the house for the whole film, although it never got used (shame!). There was a rather amusing film when the Renault 4 they were driving fell in the sea though :-)

Unfortunately I can't read Japanese, and I forget what the title was now - I took the screenshot 6 months ago!

Screenshot:

Howard Rose

I *might* be able to get those for you, I think my friend has the film on CD...

I've got another film sighting with a VW in it. It's a Japanese film that had been dubbed into Chinese. Translated into English, the title was "Beachboys Forever". There was a Bay window campervan parked outside the house for the whole film, although it never got used (shame!). There was a rather amusing film when the Renault 4 they were driving fell in the sea though :-)

Unfortunately I forget what the actual title was now - I took the screenshot 6 months ago! The writing says something like "our home for 3 months", or something like that...

Screenshot:

Howard Rose

I had not noticed that one! The sports car was a 1967 Toyota 2000 -- 337 built, only 54 exported to the US.

Thanks! Jim

Reply to
Jim O'Malley (VW-F-V)