Alloy Wheel Sizes and lowering the back end

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me with wheel/tyre sizes. I am looking for a set of Porsche Fuch alloys for a '69 beetle and have been offered a set for =A3350. However I have no idea if they would be a suitable size.

The tyres currenty on the wheels are: Front 205/55 ZR 16 and Rear

225/50 ZR 16. Would these be suitable for the bug?

My second question is about lowering the rear end. I would like to lower the rear end by a couple of inches (max) but want to avoid negative camber. I've heard this can be done by either using a sequence of inner and outer spline adjustments or by using a spring plate adjuster (which looks like a nightmare job!) Anyone got any ideas on what the easiest way to carry this out is??

Thanks

Angus

Reply to
roberts.angus

You NEED negative camber. Positive camber would be dangerous. Moderate amounts of negative camber is fine. I assume you have a swing axle beetle. You cannot lower the rear without increasing negative camber. It's the way the parts are linked together.

In a super beetle, the rear suspension is built differently. On those, you can lower the rear without dramatically affecting camber.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Wheel sizes are the worst way to lower a car. They look funny and don't lower enough. Mucking with camber that way is a great way to elimninate future problems of all kinds - cause it's likely to kill ya.

Reply to
Pico