Alternative Fuel Aircooled VWs?

I was just curious (as I would be interested in doing so) if anyone has or heard of converting aircooled VWs to alternative fuel sources. (Bio Diesel, Electric, Hybrid, etc)

I love my bug, but they pollute like a mofo. Anyone? Anyone?

Vaughn

Vaughn M Hannon

Not to get away from your topic but you need to know how the stupid state I live in treats hybrids.

Randy

RSMEINER

I did a bit of web surfing about this a couple years ago. IIRC, there was an article in one of the VW mags in the late '70s or early '80s about this topic, but the back issue in question was sold out. Perhaps someone here has a copy of it?

Reply to
Roger Ivie

Almost every full size pickup truck here has a LPG system intalled. You loose some ummmmpf, but for normal driving it's ok. The conversion on a FI bug is really easy, never seen it on a carbureted one, should be easy too. But with the fuel consuption of an ACVW, who wants LPG? Remember LPG turns into a gas as soon as is released from the pressurized bottle (for ex. on a crash) and any spark can ignite it more easily than gasoline, So safety is a concern here. There is no "safe" place for a LPG bottle in a bug (in a full size truck, the tool box is a great place).

What i think that should be done instead, is to optimize the fuel use of our engines. Sadly, our stock engines don't make the most out of gas. There must be a way to improve eficiency without killing fweem. Long live fweem! Long live fweem!

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Mmm interesting. What I've seen are bugs running on LPG (liquig propane gas) that are far less poluting than those running on gasoline, and the conversion is quite affordable. Changing to other types of engines would mean the end of the fweem, but probably would make the bugs get further into the future. Anyway, I think it will be done whenever there's a real need of it. I'm also interested in such info, if anyone knows something....

Ant

Vaughn M Hann> I was just curious (as I would be interested in doing so) if anyone

Reply to
Ant

Reply to
Braukuche

Here you go, VWTrends from June 97

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That's exactly what I mean. A turbo, more powerfull engine, get's the same fuel consumption as your 1600. So there must be a way.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I'm sure he's thinking more along the lines of "Project Propane" from the February, 1984 issue of Hot VWs. Hmm, the issue does show up in their back issues order page; perhaps it's still available. I could have sworn it was sold out when I was looking a couple of years ago...

Reply to
Roger Ivie

Hann> >>

There was a member of this group(either that or the STF) who was indeed running a Propane converted T1, think he was considering a turbo...

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Convert it to run on propane and you will get rid of most polutants. You will lose about 20 percent of your power because of less btu in propane. You could run on a gas/alcohol mix and run cleaner with higher octane but over 20 percent you will have big problems with rubber parts If you know anyone in Brazil, find out how they did it as they ran vws and all other cars on alcohol in the late 70's and 80's. I have a motor trends magazine from that era that listed two vw engines sold in country only for the puma from vw that listed a 2100cc running cool with very high compression and putting out hp over 150hp on pure alcohol. They also ran some german deisels on a blend of alcohol and soy bean oils during the same period. Or just keep it tuned and get s fi system with anelectronic system and a converter from the Mexican engines.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik