Alternator Belt Break and overheat

And the case halves got ot hell in handbasket too............everything that needs cooling to stay alive and weell dies a quick death.

Piston faces get holes in them, valves actually stretch, springs weaken, all the bearing surfaces.................ALL of em take a hell of a dive. Piston rings break, scroll gears wear very fast, ....... Only thing that may survive without any major damage...................the fan turbine, the pulleys and the tin.............and the tin is an * iffy * thing. Can't count on much from one that's been run way hot.

Even the flywheel takes an extra bit of wear that was unnecessary. Now that doesn't seem possible does it?

Basically everything needs to be rebuilt or re-manufactured, machined, aligned, or replaced or something after an overheat like described. Good luck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

The most common one for me this year is "I get FM fine, but AM is terible". Of course they omit to tell me that some aftermarket video sytem was installed last week, and the problems all started about that time. RF modulators are my nemesis. There should be a sticker installed right in the middle of the steering wheel airbag that says "AM reception will be poor if the RF modulator is *on*"

They wouldn't read it , but it would be sweet to be able to point to it and smile real big as I charged them 75 bucks to flip a switch.

Assswipes......................UGH!~

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I can't remember the last time I put a radio on AM. I think that in Europe no one uses AM anymore.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

My daily drive in listening.... Most of UK still only gets this on AM . London area gets FM.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Yep... but UK is also a unique case in Europe. You are the only country in Europe that use miles and drive on opposite side. You are also the only country in EU that doesn?t use euros? So you are not an example :-)

Joao

Joao Eliseu

LOL

Joao

Joao Eliseu

American Rednecks thinks AM stands for American Music and FM for Foreign Music.

Reply to
johnboy

Not true...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

in EU that

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

What? The euros?

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Ok, forget the money... but the other points are true.... :-)

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Ha ha. Not quite about the Euro thing. Anyhow, we like being a unique case. Irish Rupublic, Eire, also drive on the left but have Euro.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Ok, I'm rewriting this issue. Countries on Europe that drive on the opposite side, use miles and don't use Euros can not be taken as example on frequency band use :-)

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Better. Thanks. What about % population ? thats about 17% !!

Reply to
Juper Wort

The original poster said he drove it 10 miles before stopping. I imagine it doesn't take that long for significant damage to begin. I know there are a lot of variables but how soon does that "quick death" start?

If I'm driving along and the generator light pops on but I don't notice it for two miles, is my motor a goner?

-- Christian

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

Two miles in full load or down a hill in neutral?

Joao

Joao Eliseu

You might want to have them check the crankshaft's endplay and retorque the heads and case nuts (or do that yourself, easy if you've gotta torque wrench and facilities to pull your engine). Ask them to tell you how far out your valves are (as in right on, a bit out, or miles off), when you get them done, that may help in determining how bad things are. How does the engine sound now, after you've gotten new oil in there? Are you running with a significant loss of power or does everything feel all right? Does it leak oil? Did it leak oil? No use worrying about what's already done -- just figure out how to deal with it and do it. Listen to your engine and compare it to a well running (and similar to your engine, exhaust specifically) VW engine. Next time (engine wise), I'd say start from scratch with a mexican or brazillian long block, or some new one somebody could build for you (or you could build one for yourself...).

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Well, I was just thinking of a "normal" driving situation. How about a couple of miles on flat road going about 45 or 50.

-- Christian '71 Bus -- Turtle

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --

Christian M. Mericle

I have no idea...you have to test :-)

Joao

Joao Eliseu

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:44:45 -0600, Christian M. Mericle scribbled this interesting note:

Planning on a little experiment?

I wouldn't recommend it. If a light comes on and you don't know, absolutely for certain why, you need to check it out. And keep the spares in the vehicle at all times...spare belts, fuses, tire, tools, fuel line, cables, fuel pump, etc., etc., etc. That way, if a belt breaks and the light comes on (BTW, test the warning lights occasionally as well) you can stop, immediately, and fix it.

Why test the warning lights? Why do you think Scott (Muadib) burned up an engine once? He knew he had a leaky valve cover gasket and had just bought new ones. He was on his way home to install them. What he didn't know is the generator light had recently burned out an no longer worked (recently, as in just that day, if I remember correctly.) On the freeway, 50 to 70 mph, and all the oil dumped out of one valve cover when the gasket failed. Didn't take long and he knew it had happened. In the amount of time it took to exit the freeway his engine was so much scrap. And that was less than a couple of minutes.

His next move was to call me and we towed the car the rest of the way.

John Willis