Alternator light

I noticed that my alternator light comes slightly as I increase RPMs. The closer to idle, the more it turns off. I checked the voltage at idle and it was about 12.8. At about 2000 rpms, it was about 16.5. The battery is new. Before I replaced the battery, I would sometimes have to charge it before I could start the car. I noticed this light problem since I put in the new battery. I saw in another post that diodes can be ruined with a bad battery. Does that mean that the alternator over charges? Thanks for any ideas. Robert

Reply to
Robert

16.8 is a tad high, should max out at something around 14.7 V. Might be your voltage regulator gone bad.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Before doing anything else, check the tension of the fan belt.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

16.8 is indeed high! High enough to boil and ruin a new battery. The regulator is certainly suspect.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

ote:

The fan belt tension is ok. I'm guessing it has an internal regulator because there is no external regulator. Is the regulator located under the plate where the small wire hooks to the D+ terminal? Can you just buy the regulator? It's a Bosch Alternator Part # 0 120

489 565 The next line says: K1 14V 55A 22 Thanks - Robert
Reply to
Robert

I went ahead and took off the plate and there is a 1" x 2" box that also holds the brushes. I'm guessing that the box is the regulator. The number on the box is: 0192 052 007 EE14V3. Is there a way to test the regulator? I typed the number into Google and got one hit in Thai.

Reply to
Robert

The Bosch P/N: 0192 052 007

Some equiv P/N's:

A.I.M. AB-1015, ACE-ELECTRIC VR1799, AMSCO BO-180, AUDI/VW 043 903 803,

043 903 803G, BECK ARNLEY 177-0651, BOSCH 0 192 052 007, 0192 052 007

Also: Transpo IB371

A local auto parts store should be able to cross-ref at least one to get you an equiv regulator.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Wow! Thank you so much for all your research. I try and get one tomorrow and I'll report back. Robert

Reply to
Robert

You're reading the post of an idiot. It turned out that when I installed my battery, the wire from the alternator that attached to the postive battery post clamp came loose. I had it attached with a crimp connector. This time I used the crimp connector and cut off the plastic cover then soldered everything together. I covered the repair with shrink tubing and electrical tape. Now the readings are 13.18v at idle and 14.12v at 2000rpm and the idiot light goes off as soon as the engine starts. Thanks guys for your help. Robert

Reply to
Robert

LOL! Well, thank you for the update. The solution will be dutifully filed away.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I had called a lot of places to try and find the regulator but was unsuccessful getting one in a reasonable amount of time so I decided to just buy a new alternator. I was just getting ready to pull the engine so I could take my old alternator to the store and compare it before I bought it. As I was disconnecting my negative battery terminal, I saw the wire. So somebody up there must love me. :) Robert

Reply to
Robert

Phew!!

Reply to