Aluminum fuel line fitting

I use 3/8" ductile aluminum fuel line in my kit car. (I have it enclosed in a larger conventional fuel line for vibration protection.)

The connection to the fuel line that feeds the carbs is just a slip-on from the aluminum line to the fuel line - fastened with a couple hose clamps.

I think I messed up big time by turning on the ignition when the battery was on charge. I'm not sure. Does the charger put out a lot more than 12 volts?

In any event, the fuel just streamed by the clamps, leaking to the ground. So, I've got a bad fastening.

What would you use to fasten the 3/8" aluminum line to the carb fuel line? I'm thinking of a fluted brass piece that slips tight into each line and then deforms the line under the pressure of a hose clamp.

Gawd, I'm am idiot. (This is the car that blew an oil line and burst into flames once.)

Reply to
John Stafford

If it's 3/8" O.D. tube, use a 3/8" compression fitting w/ferrule. One could even flare the end and use flare nuts.

Maybe more important is the tube into the carb. If this is a Solex carb, the brass tube is only lightly pressed into the casting. They very often pop out and flood the engine with raw fuel. One fix is to tap the carb body for a 1/8" or 1/4" pipe thread. From there one has a wide selection of fittings.

More:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Answered my own question by going through the big box of spares. Russell aluminum fuel-line adapter. Dunno why but I have half of one. Heading out to the parts shop right now.

Reply to
John Stafford

Weber 44mm carbs. Whew!

Thanks, Jim!