Am I going to rot in VW heck?

It all started with a 1962 Baja I bought ('67 body, titled as a '62, which is what the pan is.)

I do all the work on all my cars, almost always using German parts, always been a "stock" freak. "If it isn't stock, it just ain't natural or right." type of mindset.

Well, I sold a pretty nice stock '67 beetle, and a bunch of random parts at the recent swap meet we had here (Puyallup, Washington State, USA), and bought a really lowered, horked up dash (has every gauge you could want, plus a few you probably can't imagine..front/rear sway bars, front disc brakes, rear oversized bus brakes, Yokohama low profile tires, all done very professionally...) 1967 standard beetle. Damn, this is a sweet bug...rides a little stiffer than my recently deceased 2002 Turbo S beetle, but seems to corner better, and with the new Mexican longblock I just installed can go from 0-70 mph in less than 10 seconds. (Not sure of the cc of the longblock, got it secondhand, I will guess it's 1641 or better.) Wow, this car is very fun to drive.

Question: am I going to rot in VW heck because I like this, or am I just going to have to atone by trying harder to get my '60 Ghia vert back to totally stock? :)

P.S. My '67 Westy daily driver (500+ miles/week now that the new beetle was wrecked by my wife 12/31) is 100% stock except for the 1600 sp in her, if that helps.

PPS: I would like to recommend to people that if their wives' daily drivers are also aircooled, you get much more slack when buying new toys. :)

Reply to
ekoman

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 08:03:55 GMT, "ekoman" ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL..depends on who you ask....i say "NO"... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Why feel guilty? Its not like you butchered this thing. Relax, have fun and then atone by putting that lil' 36 hp motor back in your '60 Ghia, that could also be your penance.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Simple answer, no. What was done to the 67 you just bought is all very reversible. Except for the extra holes in the dash, you could turn it back to stocker relatively easily. What you just bought is pretty close to my dream car! Damn you! Just kidding! Sounds pretty sweet. That's what I'm shooting for on my 73 bug. I don't know what size engine I'm going to go with though. Budget problems may limit me to a 1600 (which is already in there) with C/W crank, performance heads, dual webber 40's, extractor exhaust, 1.4 ratio rockers, and a mildish cam, but longer than stock. Of course, after I look at all that, I realize that it would cost only around 300 bucks to turn it into a 1776, and then it would only cost about another 400 to turn it into a 2007...and I'm sure the rest of you know how this goes....

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

"ekoman" wrote in news:Kvtcc.83926$JO3.43117@attbi_s04:

Depends on who funded the ride, if you then drive and enjoy, if someone else depends on what they like, stock or custom.

I say it is yours and if you like it be happy and put lots of miles on it and wave at everyone smiling as you drive by.

Reply to
TerryB