Amazing Error

The Wonderbus's engine is coming back together. Pistons still go in and out, heads replaced and valves adjusted. Dizzie rotor still goes round and round. Flywheel/clutch installed, pulley on, tin about to go back on with newly-installed flaps, carb remains to be modified, etc. No odd parts left over.

If you've been reading my posts you'll be aware that the PO got totally ripped off by VW Paradise in San Marcos, CA (USA) when they sold her a "new" 1776 engine. This thing is a bunch of old parts, some broken, indifferently slapped together. Loose nuts on the cylinders under the covers, bolts missing. I'd be ashamed.

But I just now noticed the most amazingly boneheaded error of all: they stamped "VW PARADISE" on top of the case.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Wow. You know GEX does the same thing!

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

GEX stamps their cases so that they know what to throw in the dumpster when it comes in as a core swap.

Reply to
jjs

Come to think of it, I've never seen the two together...

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Reply to
Ben Boyle

On engines I build, I usually try to remember to mark the back of the fan shroud or the area on the engine case behind the flywheel with the date of build and my name... and above the #1 cylinder I mark the main bearing oversize after a line bore job, and crank bearing journal undersize too. All this with a paint pen. Don't like to hit the case with any sharp tool and a hammer.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Olli Lammi

Hmm... Are those partial lyrics to the Oompa Loompa song? :)

"I can hammer it back into shape later."

Reply to
Shaggie

Yep, that's one of mine :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Now Bill, Why would GEX stamp their engines with the VW PARADISE stamp..................unless trying to give VW PARADISE a bad name,......................................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Reply to
Braukuche

...............I think that I was one of those who suggested going back to the shop that had built and installed that engine. At that time, we weren't aware of the problems that Mike has since discovered that are clear indications that this shop ought be avoided. The reasoning at that time was that VW Paradise ought to be given a chance to stand by their work. Now, it's clear that this wouldn't be very good advice for anyone else in the future. Live and learn I guess.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Happy to be of service by throwing myself on the grenade.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I could have gone back, but I knew far less about the engine and about these engines in general, so probably would not have been able to make a good case. I've learned a lot in the past couple months, and I can now begin to spot bad work. If I had known then what I know now, I don't know if I would have been quite so sanguine about buying the bus. And even if I had, I don't know how much swing I would have with VW Purgatory, since I was not the owner at the time.

So for me, if anyone asks whether VW Poo-poo-dise is a good shop, the answer has to be NOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!

Private e-mails from locals who lurk on RAMVA have reinforced this opinion about their workmanship and ethics.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

They don't need any help in that area.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I bought a 1776 Longblock from GEX about 5 years ago. Didn't do my homework 1st ! After reading the negative comments on this Newsgroup, I tore it down prior to putting it in my '76. Everything checked out except a couple cam followers where rough and I replaced them all. While I had it down I added a set of straight cut gears. Fast forward to

2004.... Engine runs fine on test stand and the real test comes next week when the '76 hits the road after a 5 year custom- resto. Wish me luck.