Amsoil v. Mobile1

Does anybody have an opinion on whether Amsoil synthetic or Mobile1 is better, and when to switch to synthetic from petroleum on a new engine?

Reply to
Randall Brink

If you become a real geek and start hanging out at the forums at

you'll they are both good products. However, from what I can see Amsoil is not so great as to have to pay a premium price and have decreased availability. I run Mobil 1 15-15 in my Citroen 2CV and my Super Beetle, and

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I have about 2,000 miles on a new engine. Time to switch?

Amsoil is readily available in my locality and I have heard good things about it, but never have used it before.

Reply to
Randall Brink

I'd wait a little longer myself. It's all your choice but for my purposes Mobil

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I, too wondered about the pyramid scheme aspect. After all, as far as I'm concerned, it's all about the oil. I don't sell anything, and don't want to be solicited to do so.

Reply to
Randall Brink

Ooo, oooh, I have an opinion...

I think that using synthetic in a VW is a waste of precious $$$. Synthetic is good for extended drain intervals in newer vehicles, but in the older ones that don't run near as clean, you have to change the oil every 1500 to 3000 miles anyway. I use 30W Penzoil and have never had any lubrication problems.

Just my $0.02, ask for an opinion and ye shall receive.

Dane '69 Bug '63 Bug

Randall Br> Does anybody have an opinion on whether Amsoil synthetic or Mobile1 is

engine?

Reply to
Dane Tyler

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I agree on old engines. I'd put more importance on a short change interval than on the particular type of oil in that case.

However, my engine is new, and I'm wondering if synthetic would extend engine life. I do not intend to markedly increase my drain cycle from 2,000 miles.

I broke my engine in with Castrol straight W30 and now run Castrol 20W-40, and am happy with it, but keep hearing of the virtues of Amsoil and other synthetics.

Reply to
Randall Brink

..............I fooled around with Mobil 1 in my Berg 1679 for awhile and also tried the Harley Davidson formulation of Mobil 1 along some other brand of motorcycle oil that wasn't synthetic. I finally came to my senses and went back to straight 30 weight Castrol and haven't looked back. I never saw any real difference in oil pressure, oil temperature or head temperature no matter what I used after it was warmed up. The non-synthetic straight weight Castrol doesn't appear to leave any varnish deposits inside the valve covers which I would interpret to be an indicator of thermal breakdown. Living here in upstate NY, I'd only consider going back to a synthetic if I did any winter driving with this engine. The reason being that synthetic oil does flow better during start up when temperatures are very low.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Less friction means less heat. Less friction means less wear. In an air cooled engine this should be a no brainer if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Just my opinion of course.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Reply to
Ben Boyle

href="

">Den's>1977 Puma

Why do people get chintzy over a couple dollars more per oil change? Skip lunch that day.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

be comparable to my Michigan climate and I can

be much warmer by the time the sun has been up

.................It's always garaged overnight. During my driving season starting next month, a 30 deg. night will only cool my garage down to maybe

50 deg. That doesn't seem too low for starting up with 30 wt. oil. On the other side of the coin, on a hot summer day, I can run it for many miles at 75+ mph at almost 40# oil pressure with the same 30 wt. Castrol.
Reply to
Tim Rogers

Synthetic oil has different heat transfer properties to mineral oil.In a water cooled enginge, the water cools the engine ! In an air cooled engine the oil has a big part in engine cooling !!! Synthetic oil, while it doesnt break down, tends to hold its heat - doesnt give it up in the oil cooler - so the engine will run hotter . NOT good !

Rich

Michael Cecil wrote:

Reply to
tricky

This is bollocks. Synth cools better then dino oil (we have tested it).

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Just typing what I am reading from my new VW Heritage (uk) catologue !

If it's bollocks then let it be so !

Rich

John C> This is bollocks. Synth cools better then dino oil (we have tested it). >

Reply to
tricky

And He saw that it was, indeed, bollocks. And it was good. And a great silence settled over the land. And He was pleased.

Reply to
Shag

John is right.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I went back and re read the paragraph in the catologue - mineral v synthetic. It said what I thought it did ! - just what I typed.

Just goes to show.

I try to learn as much as I can about VW's. I love em ! got 8 of em !. I read books, mags, news groups :-) etc.

VW heritage (uk) is well respected here, you would have thought they could give good advise !

Rich.

Dennis Wik wrote:

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma