Another adaptation Q

recently, I acquired a front beam and wheels (centerlines ) that has a four bolt pattern indicative of 68 and up model year bugs,................and a swingaxle rearend, indicating an earlier year model, with some other brand , wide five patterned , wheels attached to it.decent looking set of wheels, don't have a huge need for any of the rest of the parts but will probably use the beam for another project.............

the Question is: will the drums from the swingaxle rearend fit a double jointed rear axle stub without mods?

Is the "cog" the same or is it shorter or longer or some such issue?

any info to help decide whether or not to use 'em would be appreciated. I'd like the look of a centerline type wheel on my buggy considering the price was great.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Yes and no, You can make the drums fit by using some certian sized bearing spacers etc.. But they are a skinner drum than the late model 4 lug. I tried it and I didn't really trust it so I used Thing drums (direct fit).

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Well, Thanks for all the input....................LOL

Obviously not much of a normal situation, as no replies would suggest. Anyways,............If anyone has done the Thing Drums on one, talk to me, That seems to be th one most suggested, without using the 4lug to five lug adapters. Mark Detro?????? Google suggests you know something here.

the most informative post said something about the drums for a thing are wider than a bug drum???? Make sense? How will that affect the rears on the Dune Buggy>?? it's a fiberglass body and has no clearance issues. Is that what is being referred to in post here..........

anybody else?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Yes, they are wider by about a half inch if memory serves correct. I have them on my 73' IRS Baja along with 67' Type 1 drums up front to match. All the brake internals are the same on a 181 so I guess the only reasons VW went wider was spacing on the 181 and possibly to make it a stronger unit as the bolting surface is more centered on the hub? (I'm taking a shot in the dark on that one) Unless you need those tires to inside the well of that buggy I'd say its irellavent and will actually give you a bit of wider track, which is usually a "cool" factor on a buggy! adaptors are gonna widen the track a little too. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

66' panel 71' westy 73' baja
Reply to
Mark Detro

Excellent Mark, and thank you. I guess I know where i'll be spending my next Buggy money then. Anyone think it'd look too stupid with wide fives on back and four lug on front? Like I said before,........the price was a significant reason for the match up. FREE. Anyon need a swingaxel tranny? Kirk????? I'll make you a deal! Bring your self on over to the New House in North Garland & I'll let you have the whole tranny once I get the wheels off of it. ( or anyone else I suppose if Kirk is not interested. ) I just have to figure out how to get the locked lugs out without a key for them ...............LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:21:44 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

Shouldn't be a problem for you!:~)

John Willis

I had to fo that once to get too a sweet set of Crager SS wheels with "super wide" 60's on them out of a junkyard for my 72' buick GS wannabe I had back in the mid eighties.

used a lifetime warranty socket, a size that will almost but not quite fit over the lock, and a BFH. (only hand tools allowed in the junkyard)

I cracked 2 sockets by the time I got the set of 4 off but they were easily replaced for free. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

66' panel 71' westy 73' baja
Reply to
Mark Detro

I was taking an 84' Monty Carlo on a road trip years ago and on prepping the car couldn't find my key for the locking lugnuts. I took it to a local Firestone dealer and they got them off for about $25. They said they couldn't promise me anything though.....

Mac

Reply to
Mac

On 11 Dec 2004 12:25:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comma (Mark Detro) wrote: Just in case it matters here, these have been boogered a bit already by a hack of sorts....................I know, I know,.............It wasn;t me though.........honest............

The locking ones on the rears look like a 17mm internal wrenching with a Safety center..............'bout a 1/4' diameter. I should be able to use the die grinder and a grinding piece and do some damage to the center and use the wrench I mostly use to remove diagonal arms to remove the lugs.

I actually used the method you described as a way to remove the set from the fronts..............they came off fairly easy.

Thanks again for the info, It will be good to know I can just buy a pair of Thing Drums for my adapter.