Another "dizzy" "carb" combo question

Hi all, Just purchased a 1971 1302 (chassis # 211)and discovered that I have a

1974 engine, (AK168943, at least I think it is a 74 the AK fits, but all the engine numbers I've seen have a 0 after AK, like AK0168943, mine has no 0..??). The individual I purchased it from had a new carb put on her, an H30/31 PICT. It is a dual port 1600 engine, and the distributor (as far as I can tell) is an OEM distributor, the part number is 0231 170 036. Old Volks lists this as a 74 bosch distributor.

I notice some hesitation in the engine, actually it is more like the motor wants to go faster, but it is being limited. Kind of like a gently surge forward, and then a slow down.. Make any sense??? No real noticeable "flat" spots... If there are the're probably a result of me getting used to the mechanical clutch. got lazy with the hydrolics..

I don't suspect the timing is off, as the engine has no trouble with missing when down shifting, or at high revs, but the valves may need adjusting (going to work on that this weekend.. ) but I could be wrong..

She just seems to want to go faster, quicker etc..

I don't think I have a 009 dist. Please help me confirm this..

So I wonder if the hesitation is a result of the carb not supplying the best possible mixture, and as a result some of the combustion isn't all it could be.. Am I stretching??

Given my engine, and distributor, would I benefit in mpg, emissions, hp, etc etc by going back to the original 34 PICT (3 or 4 not sure which was stock) for that engine?

TIA!

B :)_S

Reply to
B : _S

A general tune up might improve things, valves, points and timing in that order. If the carb has a vacuum advance check that it hasn't got a hole in the diaphragm by removing dizzy cap and sucking on the vac pipe and putting your finger over the pipe (tricky :-) ) the vac advance arm should say where it is and not move back. Sounds like it needs just needs a little fettling. I think the carb for a '74 is a 34 pict 4 (help me out guys), but I wouldn't think it would make a great improvement to performance.

--Steve

Reply to
tunafish

Reply to
Braukuche

So it would be a good idea, to get the 34..? As opposed to remainnig with the 30/31? B :)_S

Reply to
B A