Another nutty idea

So there I was, in the middle of the night trying to put my engine together. Wouldn't you know it? No carb-to-manifold gaskets. Drat.

But I did have a roll of gasket material. High-temp stuff I got at Pep Boys for some project. So I turned a junk carb over and sprayed a little paint on the bottom. Then I pressed the carb onto the gasket material like a stamp, thus:

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-476F.JPG While that paint dried, I cleaned the carb off with mineral spirits. Then I could just cut out the new gaskets.

Hozsat?

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Ingenuity is the mother of invention. Or something like that. Great idea!

Reply to
Malcolm

Bril'lnt.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I do that on a regular basis :)

Note that for installing at least stock aluminum intake manifold end piueces to dual port heads, is a place where I'd only use the original type metal gaskets. The bolt spacing is so wide that a soft paper gasket will not compress properly near the center, and will compress plenty at the ends where the bolts are. Many end castings have cracked from the bolt hole because of this. (Overtorquing the nuts must have helped)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson
[snip]

This makes sense. My manifolds were installed with soft elastomeric (squishy) black gaskets. They appeared to be kind of stuck to the heads and in good condition, so I left them in place an re-used them. Anyone know what these gaskets were?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 08:10:23 -0700, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" ran around screaming and yelling:

probably these:

these are what i use and recomend....i used to make my own out of "Garloc"(R), which is used to make flange gaskets in piping systems...good shit, but makes the parts a "biatch" to remove...so i now use the above linked ones...(i bought them from john and plan to order another couple sets to keep around, because i only have one set left..) JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I don't think so -- John's description says "fiber," which these are not. More like flubber. Squishy. Sticky. Mooshy. Other words that end with "y".

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Just don't go crazy with torque.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:57:36 +0300, Jan Andersson ran around screaming and yelling:

what? sheesh....torque it till it snaps, then back it off a quarter.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Reply to
ilambert

I used to use JC Whitney catalog covers! -BH

excellent gasket

Reply to
Busahaulic