Another VIN question

Hey, I lost my RAMVA connection last year when I lost everything in my favorites and every time I tried the group I was denied access for some reason.

You guys have come through in answering every question I have ask so far. I hope you can help this time.

Here's the deal, last year I bought an old fiberglass dune buggy with no title. Now we're wanting to get it legal so we can tow it to Myrtle Beach in June. The problem is, the only number we can find is 4774 4637 that we found on the tunnel back where the rear seat use to be. How am I going to get a title with no numbers to identify the body style, the number plate up front is long gone.

I had planned to use this company

but their ad states they don'tprovide titles for kit cars so I assume I will have to title it asoriginal car. It's kingpin front, swing axle rear. So, do you guysthink I can fake it by saying it's a 60 standard beetle and title itwith the above VIN # or am I just SOL? I don't know that it's a 1960 or what.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Dave in WV

PS. Doctors continue to be amazed that I'm still alive considering I was diagnosed with the terminal illness called Lou Gehrig's disease back in 86 and was given 6mo-3yr to live. I'm vent dependent now and paralyzed to the point where I can barely drive my power chair and have enough movement in my right index to type using a special program for people with limited movement. Thanks again

Reply to
Dave in WV

Whoa! Almost 20 yrs? What a fighter you must be!

That doesn't look like a valid #. Is it split into 2 groups of 4 digits, just the way you typed it?

Look here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

SYCHROMESH in ALL OF THE forward gears including FIRST gear arrived in the summer of 1960 (but that's the first of the 1961 models). Do you have synchro. in 1st gear? You likely still have the original transmission, so this is a good test. I leave it up to you to test for sychromesh in 1st gear.

First of all, that's one too many digits... Did you misread that? It is the correct place for the VIN #, so you're on the right track. Go have another look.

If we assume it is really 4744637 or something like that, then that makes it 2nd production run '62 (but built in late April of 1962) based on this site:

At the site, there may be some more clues based on changes introduced that will narrow down your year (such as a particular dimension on the rear wheel bearing).

If you find something, remember that the "YEAR" begins in about August or so of the previous calendar year back then. I have a 1961 model, but it was built shortly into August of 1960 based on my S/N.

Check that number again... should either be SEVEN digits, or a lot more like 115 004 037 (which would make it 1964 or later).

You could also send to Germany for a copy of how the car left the factory... sort of a birth certificate... I bet they'd accept that as good evidence! You'll have to get that S/N from the transmission tunnel correct to seven digits though. Instructions on how to get your birth certificate are here in the RAMVA archives (see Google).

Reply to
Red Bug

sorry, I was wrong. It is seven numbers 4774637. Does that make a difference?

Reply to
Dave in WV

How do I tell if it's sychro mesh 1st gear?

sorry, I was wrong. It is seven numbers 4774637. Does that make a difference?

Thanks again

Reply to
Dave in WV

January 1962 build. So, it is a '62.

In case you need documentation for BMV,

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Get it rolling (not too fast)... depress the clutch... can you put it into first without grinding the gears? Then it is synchromesh... Otherwise, you'd have to come to a full stop to engage first gear each time.

Based on that (and the site I mentioned), it was built in June of 1962 as a 2nd run 1962 model year.

Also, another good clue would be if there are spots on either side of the tunnel behind the gearshift (between the seats actually) where you can mount a seatbelt by installing the adapter bolt kit... That showed up after July of 1961 but this was the first part of the 1962 model run. I don't have them on mine as my car is a 1st run '61 model. The seat belt mounting point was added after VIN # 4010995. Your number is higher than this so you should have seat belt mounting points.

If they don't accept this information, then send for the original "birth certificate" from Germany and offer that as proof of what you have:

The Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen can give you the manufacturing information for your Volkswagen. To get a copy of this "Birth Certificate," send the Museum your VIN number and a request a birth certificate. Since January 1, 2002, with the European conversion to the Euro, the fee is now 15.00 EURO or $15.00 U.S.

Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen Brieffach 1003 Frau Neefe Dieselstrasse 35 D-38436 Wolfsburg Germany b

E-Mail Contact: snipped-for-privacy@VWMAIL.DE

Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen accepts check, cash, or credit card. With a credit card send cardholder name, card number, type of card, and the expiration date. With a credit card you will get charged whatever the exchange rate happens to be the day they process it. Contact by e-mail is reportedly the fastest way to obtain a Birth Certificate. Be sure to include all the necesary Credit Card information in the e-mail.

You will receive a nice document from the Siftung AutoMuseum that is suitable for framing with the following info on it.

Customer Name Vehicle Ident. Nr. Model Engine Number Color Extras/Options Date it was built Date it left the factory Country of Destination Date Certificate is issued Plus any addition info they may have such as wheel rim color, upholstry marerial, M codes, etc.

It will be signed by Dr. Wiersch and Chr. Neefe

Reply to
Red Bug

Speedy Jim, Red Bug,

Thank you guys very much!

The application for title asks for the following information so would this be correct as far as we know?

Year 1962 Make Volkswagen Model Type 1 Body Style -Sedan Vehicle ID Number - 4774637

Reply to
Dave in WV

Yep... next question is... will they take you for your word? They could surely search their own databases for other registered VWs with S/N that are just below and above your number and see that they are ALSO listed as 1962 models... Depends how many are in your state... I don't see why they'd have a reason to doubt you once you have shown that you have researched the issue... one year is likely as good as another to them for cars this old.

I've also summarized this VIN DATA on the classic car club site that I'm in and for which I also help on the web pages... The VIN DATA is accessed from the "FEATURE SECTION" button on the radio (scroll down a ways once you get to the right page). Here's the site:

Reply to
Red Bug

I should clarify that a bit... there is a VIN DATA page and also a PRODUCTION NUMBERS page... the VW data is on the PRODUCTION NUMBERS page which is the other sub-page in the "FEATURE SECTION"...

Sorry for that slip up!

Reply to
Red Bug

You guys have been very helpful as always, thanks again.

The company I'm using to get the title are just in business supplying you with a Letter of Title Law from the State, a Certificate of Registration and a Notarized Bill of Sale. This is everything you will need to transfer the Vehicle into your name in your state. NOTE: You will NOT receive a certificate of title from them.

I guess we could do all the leg work, paper work and cut through all the red tape ourselves $150 but this seems so much easier.

Their website says in their state, Alabama, you can get a title with only a bill of se. So, in affect, they "pretend" they buy the car from you, get all the paper work in order, then sell the vehicle back to you and transfer the paper work back to you. They only provide this service for cars older than 1975. They have an affiliate in another state that does the same thing for vehicles 75-87.

I'm not advertising or pushing this company in anyway I just think they provide a valuable service to car guys who have either lost their title or didn't have one to begin with.

Thanks again Dave in WV

PS. I'm glad to have found RAMVA again. I see Jan, Speedy Jim, PJ, vdu, Howard, Joey are still here but what about the shagster

Reply to
Dave in WV

Reply to
Ben Boyle

many have tried, yet no one succeeded in running shaggie off...he's around..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

yeah,

Dave in WV

I'm here, and planning to get louder (post more) in the very near future. :-)

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag