Anybody ever put a Porsche 356 motor in a beetle?

Anybody ever put a Porsche 356 motor in a beetle?

I'd love to know, thanks in advance!

Reply to
slakka

Sure its been done -- as have VW T1 in a 356. Why would you want to do it other than to spend a lot of $? You can build a T1 to more horsepower and dependability for less $ than buying/installing/rebuilding a 356. Leave the

356 engine for a purest restoring an old 356 and go with the cheaper T1 (or T4).
Reply to
Wolfgang

It is a waste of money. Later properly built T1 engines are more powerful and easier to manage.

Reply to
<jjs>

The only reason to do this would be to use either the Super 90 or the

115ps twincam Carrera engine, both which are hard to find. Not to mention the cost of the Carrera engine.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Or Porsche 904 motor, twin cam flat 4 right?

Reply to
slakka

Back in the 60's it wasn't uncommon since building hot VW motors was limited by the single-port heads, etc. The real question is this? Anybody ever put a VW motor in a Porsche? Yeah...me. I have 2 reasonably tight 912 motors in my garage. One is the original #matching case for my 67 coupe. My plan was: Pull my Porsche motor and rebuild one of them. Borrow a friend's complete DP stock VW motor and run it while rebuilding the 912 motor. Well, after putting the VW in there I pretty much have left it in and will save both of the Porsche motors. Parts prices for 912/356 motors are really high - if you can find them at all. The VW/Porsche 356/912 motors are so similar that, to me, it makes no sense to run the original motor on the street, which, even rebuilt, is an irreplaceable time-bomb.

Reply to
Bill