Anyone have "personalized" plates??

I have a GA antique plate, but thinking of getting one that says RAMVA or SCOOBY or ABUG4U etc... but I'm so cheap...any ideas?

Reply to
pmbedard

I hear the new GA plates are ugly... what do they look like now?

I'm too cheap to buy specialized plates.. though i do have some of those year of make plates for my cars... maybe you could get one of them? they are more "specialized" but just the cost of a normal plate!

Reply to
VWGirl

Reply to
Ben Boyle

When we had our '71 SB painted up as Herbie, we thought about getting the specialized plate "LOVEBUG", which surprisingly is still available in Alabama.

'69 Bug (Gus) '71 SB (Herbie)

Reply to
Malcolm

Reply to
ismlv

One problem now is that preppy girls have taken a lot of the Bug related plates for their New Beetle that daddy bought them. Here is a link to a website that has a bunch of pics of vanity plates.

Bill Berckman Cincinnati VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show Pictures

Bill Berckman

Reply to
Nor-Cal Dave

Florida plate :" BD76BUG".

"Wild" Bill Tucker and Linda President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear breaks, roll bar, "Prowler Purple." SOON !!

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback ( Some Assembly Required ! )

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Not personalized, but I have Antique/Historical plates on my '69.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Great site!

Unfortunately, Germany's rules WRT plates are very strict: you get AB-XX 999, AB being short for the town, XX one or two letters, and 999 one to four digits.

My Buses both have the same XX 999 combination as they had on their first plate, i.e. AX 791 and ZY 51 respectively. My vert had K 869 (for "Karmann, '70 model year" :-) when it was last registered.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

I've had all kinds of personaized plates over my years. Had LAMF for a long time, a long time ago. Had a cop ask me once what it meant, and I told him it was a personal joke between me and my wife, and when he asked me if I was gonna tell him, I said "No!" (LAMF - Like A Mother F**ker, for those uninitated. It's an album by The Heartbreakers, Johnny Thunders and company, not that Tom Petty wanker! ;-))

Had RNR-BUG once, and my father's neighbor told me she thought it stood for Rest and Relaxation Bug, until her younger and hipper son explained, "No Mom! It means Rock and Roll Bug!" (He was correct!)

Got CS-EE when I was in school for them at Washington University St Louis, on WashU plates too! Had 'em on one of my old VWs once, and was parked right next to a Mercedes with UMSL plates on it, and the driver of the Mercedes mentioned something about I guess we can see where we both spend our money! (I just smiled!)

Then I got into whitewater kayaking, and actually *got* "K'YAKER"! I could not believe it, but I put it as one of my high up choices, and I actually got it!

I'm vanity plateless now. Ought to cure that little problem! :-)

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

Lilrdmbx

Shawn in NY

Reply to
butch

Personalised plates here are VERY expensive. Our cars are given plates from a yearly series (now 6 monthly) with a letter or number determining which year your car is. Really old plates (pre 1963) have no year letter and are worth THOUSANDS!

My Beetle is GLJ651D - the LJ mean Bournemouth (where the car was registered) and the D means 1966.

The registration number on my '62 Mini (1188RU) is apparently worth about £3,500 - but it's not for sale, cars that lose their original numberplates get a crappy re-registered lisence. I like original ones!

I once saw 1968VW for sale (a 1961 issue) for £5,000!

-- Howard Rose '66 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe '62 Austin Mini Deluxe '64 Austin Mini Super Deluxe

Howard Rose

not personalized one but YOM...

currently I have a mississippi classic car plate on the 66 (bad pic)
****************************************************************dragenwagen

1966 Type I - Daily Driver 1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Thier Territory."****************************************************************
Reply to
dragenwagen

GA has the usual assortment of wildlife plates, usually bought by "outdoorsmen" who sneak up on Bambis and turkeys and blow them away. I hear the new official plate has a peach (!), but is similar to the old one - I haven't noticed one yet. Florida has an incredible number of choices... I have a plastic frame from CIP that says California on it - I bought it to avoid shipping charges. It was about two bucks...

Reply to
pmbedard

I once saw a woman who looked exactly like Christie Brinkley driving a red Porsche 944 on I-95 in Ct. Her plate (NY) said LIRDQT - which might have meant Long Island Red Cutie, or lil'redcutie, or...? I never thought she was hot, or 944's for that matter...

Reply to
pmbedard

I've got Wisconsin plates Y2K BUG and REAL BUG

Reply to
Masqqqqqqq

Florida has more choices than any other state... and keeps adding to them... I keep seeing new ones each year... but just the regular one is ugly with it's peach [orange]

Reply to
VWGirl

Texas 57 BUG. (It's really a 56 but someone got there first).

Bobby

pmbedard wrote:

Reply to
Bob Johnson

Note that the "AB" can be one, two or three letters. They are administrative district "mnemonics"; even if they're obtuse. e.g. HB, HH, and SHG. There are some "districts" for non-local authorities such as armed forces, diplomatic services and, in the past; the post office.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche