Anyone on Royal Purple?

Hey Guys! Long time...

Has anyone used Royal Purple oil products? WOW! I'm impressed. it started when I thought I screwed up my syncronizer in my tranny. Drained it and filled it with Royal Purple gear oil, AWESOME stuff ( not cheap but worth it), runs great! Change oil with their 20W50... the engine has never run so quiet and smooth. Has anyone else tried it?

Check it out:

Narley Dude®

I put Royal Purple MaxGear (GL4 rated) in my '64 Bug's transaxle shortly after I got it. It does seem to shift a bit smoother. I'm still sticking with mineral based oil for the engine for now.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

I used the gear oil in the transmission on my 71 transporter. It made an audible difference and the only reason I changed was the fact that I figured it was time. I thought the transmission was great and wantyed to keep it that way. The Royal Purple was worth the money. I haven't tried the engine oil yet. Tim Klopfenstein

Reply to
Tim Klopfenstein

It really made a huge difference. Like I said it NEVER has run so quiet and smooth and it sure feels like I've picked up a few ponies with the oil change. One thing I've noticed, is that after a couple of days of regular drive you'll really "hear" the difference. With my tranny I had a real hard time shifting from 3rd to 2nd. It would grind really bad and there was NO WAY to get in into 2nd unless I slowed way down like 5 Mph. It wasn't a constant trouble, but it did occure about 6 times out of 10. Ever since draining the tranny and putting in Royal Purple gear oil. I have not had this problem once. Not to mention that this is my daily driver and I do have a lead foot. I spent about 30 bucks in gear oil (3 quarts) but it sure was cheaper than a new tranny rebuild.

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

I bought the stuff last summer and was going to put it in my tranny (I actually haven't yet replaced my gear oil shame on me.....I don't have a clue how old it is) but I discovered that the GL rating was wrong. I forgot, what's the proper GL rating for synthetic gear oil to be safe on the yellow metal in these cars? Is it GL4 or GL5?

Also, how do you get the new oil in there....it seems like you can't exactly pour it in to the side of the tranny where there's no room....do auto parts stores sell a hand pump you can use?

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

GL-4 is the proper classification. Although I have read that the new GL-5 oils that are also MT-1 are fine.

To put the oil in, go to you local auto parts store and buy a gear oil pump for $5 and that will do the trick. And its much easier to do the job with the left rear wheel off of the car and a couple of good extensions for your ratchet. The drain plug and fill plug are 17mm hex.

Dane '69 Bug '63 Bug

Anth>

Reply to
Dane Tyler

I Love Royal Purple..

I tested 7 synthetic oils and nothing has compared to Royal Purple. It went 16,000 miles in my 912E without an oil change till just a few weeks ago!

Reply to
Jake Raby

The specs rate it to exceed GL4 and Gl5. The weight I put in was

75W90. Yeah, you're right it's a pain in the butt to fill it... HOWEVER I found at Walmart in the oil/filter section an adapter that consists of a cap with a plastic tube attached to it. The cap screws onto the bottle and using the tube to reach the hole, just squeeze the bottle to get the gear oil in. It costs about $2. This item is also used to fill Automatic Transmission Fluid in many other vehicles. Best 2 bucks I've spent in a while!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

safe for transmissions with soft metals.

Yep! GREAT stuff!!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

According to Royal Purple's website their MaxGear gear oil is supposed to be safe for transmissions with soft metals.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

I used it in my NSX, and in my Sequoia but am running Mobile 1 in the MexiBeetle. I have never tried there gear oil though, may have to get some.

Reply to
Javier