Argh....I have to sell her.

Sad but true. Anyway, this is my first time selling a car. I would appreciate any hints and tips, and no, I don't plan on selling it to someone who won't take care of her. That's why I'm posting here...I want to know where I can advertise the car to people who are aircooled enthusiasts. Obviously here, but where else? Ebay? Autotrader? How to do it locally?

It's a '73 std. Beetle. Recently replaced shocks, steering box, tie rod ends (inner and outer). Front disc brakes, Porsche 914 rims with

185 and 205 rubber front and rear, respectively. Strong 1600 engine was rebuilt 14K miles ago. All cooling tin present. Front and rear 3/4" sway bars. This car handles VERY well, it's a lot of fun on curvy roads. Custom center console, two homemade varnished maple dash inserts, one with small VDO tach. Tach doesn't read correctly, I don't think it likes the points ignition. Electric windshield washer pump with toggle switch operation. Car is solid, minor rust. Pans are solid, some surface rust under floormats. Rust around front fenders and on front of car. New rear fenders, they don't match the rest of the color of the car (yellow). Overall, the exterior condition of the car is not too great. The mechanical condition, however, is excellent. Oil changed and valves adjusted every 2k. Oil used is consistently Castrol 20W-50. I'm sure I've forgotten something, but I will post if I remember. The car is located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. If anyone here is interested please email me at ant9 9 8 3 @ yahoo.com (remove spaces).

Thanks for any other tips as well.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

The best VW classified site on the planet can be found at the samba.com. Sorry you have tro sell your VW.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

Good luck. I advertised (for a friend) a running '67 (very rare model) with $1,500 worth of parts here & on Samba for $1,000 - & no one bought it. In fact, in spite of answering nearly 40 emails, only one person looked at it (but he was looking for a $3,000 car, that didn't need *any* work). What a waste on our time! BTW you should quote a price whenever you're trying to sell anything. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

you do know how many 67's were built and sold don't you? no where near rare....i could buy three 67's *today* that are for sale locally, but only one non-67(its a red 66), and we are a no vw type area....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Whoops, I completely spaced on the price. $2500.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Whoops, I completely spaced on the price. $2500.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

rare....i could buy three 67's *today* that are for sale locally, but only one non-67(its a red 66), and we are a no vw type area....

********* Yeah I know that they made alot of every year. The '67 is still one the rarest & most desireable & collectable in my opinion. How much are they asking for the ones in your area? Are they asking $500 LESS than the cost of the parts on them? ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:56:30 -0500, "ThaDriver" scribbled this interesting note:

Unfortunately the cost of the parts that make up a car is always greater on an individual, part-by-part basis, than the value of the car fully assembled.

Several years ago I was at a garage sale here in the Dallas area. I got to talking with the homeowners about VWs. They used to have a Convertible (I've forgotten any of the rest of the particulars, but they aren't relevant to this) and wanted to sell it. They knew local values weren't the best they could get. What did they do to get full value for their collectible vehicle? Simple. They took out an ad in the automotive section of a Los Angeles newspaper. A fellow contacted them, looked at photos, flew out, paid them, and drove home.

John Willis

"desireable" varies from person to person....there had never been a shortage of 67's....totally correct, they are quite expensive, but there are many out there that do still have the one year only parts that are being sold cheap...as for being sold for less than the cost of the parts on them, that is the way the vw market works...put ten grand into it and it is still worth

6-8 grand....
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Not always! After maybe $6 big ones in parts, body work and paint, mine was recently evaluated for significantly more... but unless I were to sell it, there's no way to get a final answer. Still, I can "feel" that it is worth more than I spent on it... Also, it seems from here on out that it will likely GAIN in value over the long haul rather than lose value. It's just old enough, and close enough to stock (easy to get there too) that it would probably be easy enough to sell... I have no plans to do that though... it is my first car after all... since I was

15 and before I even had my driver license. $200 to buy it in the state it was in back then about 1976.
Reply to
Red Bug

worth

6-8 grand.... ********* I'm not talking about a totaly restored car (that would cost 18 grand anyway, in most cases for a ground-up restoration). I'm talking about a '67 that had new Holley-Weber (that alone costs $250), header, clutch & flywheel, 009, blue coil, brakes, & a lot of other things done to it - in *very* restorable condition. They just aren't worth restoring if you expect to get your money back any time within the next three decades. See also the thread about "no value", or at
't mean you shouldn't fix one up just for the personal pleasure, ofcourse. Heck I have about 7 grand in parts & over 1200 hours (yes that'stwelve HUNDRED) in the blue bug - but then it's a one-of-a-kind radicalcustom.
(blue Cabriolet - now sold, & blue streetbaja) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

my example was not for a ground up resto either...more of a decent daily...

unfortunately none of the above really add any value to the car.

Dosen't mean you shouldn't fix one up just for the personal pleasure, of> course. Heck I have about 7 grand in parts & over 1200 hours (yes that's> twelve HUNDRED) in the blue bug - but then it's a one-of-a-kind radical> custom.

i'm with ya there Paul....and that is my point...as an "enthusiast" you fix up your car the way you want, but you will usually never be able to get what you think its worth or even what you put into it....but too many people also are stuck in a frame of mind that vw's are "cheap"....not so anymore....not so around here for several years....junkers, yes, nice cars no....i routinely get a good laugh out of "newbs" that post to forums complaining about bodymen wanting XXX to chop a top or do suicide doors...recently at STF one posted, appalled that his bodyman wanted to charge 1500 bucks to chop his top....i sure as shit wouldn't do one for someone for 1500...didn't take too many replies before he figured out the price was on the cheap side....i don't know...i give up...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

heh heh You sound like that dealer I worked with when I traded in my Thunderbird on a minivan a few years ago.

me- "But it has an awesome 6-CD changer in the trunk and a really nice aftermarket stereo in it!"

dealer- "That adds no value to the car."

me- "OK."

me after haggling and getting so pissed off that dealer eventually agreed to deliver van to my driveway - *runs to Radio Shack, buys $20 'stereo' and swaps it out with nice stereo/cd-changer and doesn't even bother to hook up antenna wire*

dealer after delivering van to our house and getting in Thunderbird to drive it away and realizing there is a SH*T radio on the car now that doesn't pick up any stations- "@#$%^&*!!!!!!!"

me after hearing dealer say "@#$%^&*!!!!" - "HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

sound in minivan the next day - "sound of nice stereo with

6-CD-changer backing it up"

Me- 1. Dealer- 0.

Reply to
Shag

******** Not to me they wouldn't. I would almost certainly add the Holley-Weber to it (unless I was restoring it *box* stock), & that would mean added value. I still can't believe no one wanted a running driveable '67 for a grand. I wish I had the money to buy it from him, but of course I already have several projects & no money for them... Heck I would have paid that for it just to put the engine in my Formula Vee if I had the money! ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

is this car still for sale?...location? pics? (*i apparently missed the original post?maybe?)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

original post?maybe?)

******** The *body* is still for sale for $800 - above Atlanta. My friend has pulled the engine & says if he sells the car running it will have a *stock* single-port in it. No more killer deals on a running car with the Holley-Webber, header, cam, 009, etc. The car needs floorboards, but has solid heater channels. I took down the add (with pics) on Samba 'cause I got tired of answering emails (over 40) for nothing. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver

sounds like you are describing my "parts pile"...(that probably won't be used)...i have no less than ten 009 distributors that i have declared junk, no less than 12 holley/webbers in three different configurations(used to use these on circletrack) and even a holley "bugspray"...pretty much all useless...so "killer" deal because of those parts, no....killer deal for a decent body and solid channels? yes...at least here....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

used)...i have no less than ten 009 distributors that i have declared junk, no less than 12 holley/webbers in three different configurations(used to use these on circletrack) and even a holley "bugspray"...pretty much all useless...so "killer" deal because of those parts, no....killer deal for a decent body and solid channels? yes...at least here....

******** Except these were all BRAND NEW or nearly so. They weren't junk by any means. Got any 050 distributors? ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"
Reply to
ThaDriver

my holley/webers are all pretty much new..some have a few races on them, and a few have been to the raceshop to be raceprepped, thennever run...they do work well on a bmw ministock...on a bug? not so great...

no, sorry, no 050 distributors...not alot of vw parts left...had an entire basement full, but scrapped out two bugs about two years ago(the regs probably remember the pic of my 74 being hauled off to its final resting place(crusher)....i threw out almost everything then....engine cases, distributors, stock carbs/intakes a qhole pile of good used heads, then gave away a freshly rebuilt turnkey engine....i needed the space....since then there have been times i wish i had kept them....of course...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

(i got a mallory unilite on order from Aircooled.net....hopefully will be here soon...is gonna go great with the mallory hyfire6AL i bought last year but never installed...)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani