Auto Choke Question

AAAAAAAahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

This auto choke is giving me fits. I can't seem to get it adjusted correctly. Like I said in an earlier post.... If I let my 71 type1 warm up using the gas pedal (lightly) for about a minute, it runs and idles perfect, like a new car. The problem is that I have to sit and "help" it for the first minute or two. When facing the choke adjustment, does turning it clockwise increase the choke or decrease it. I have read some negative things about the auto choke; perhaps it's just not functioning at all. Do I even need the thing, as I'm basically manually choking it for the first minute or so with the gas pedal?

ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Jakalope

Oh, it's a 71 bug with a 34pict3 carb. It seems that no matter where I adjust it, it needs help to keep running at first. I have tried several chokle positions. Like I stated, after a minute or two she purrrrrs.

Reply to
Jakalope

Loosen the three screws that are around the choke retaining ring, and then rotate the thing as if you were rolling it towards you with your hand(CCW if you are facing it from the passenger side of the vehicle).

Do the adjustment on a cold engine. If you hold the throttle arm open as you rotate the choke element you will see the fast-idle cam start to move down so that it will hold the throttle open for you slightly when cold. If you do not see the choke plate or the fast idle came move as you turn the heater then you need to remove the retaining ring(take all three screws out....don't lose the spacers behind the screws), unplug the wire to the heater, and pull the heater out of the carburetor. It is possible that the hook and/or element itself is broken. You'll see how it works once you pull the heating element off.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

I just snuck away from my desk, borrowed a screwdriver and turned that thing counterclockwise as far as it would go. No small adjustment. It started up and ran w/o giving it any gas!!!!!! We may have a winner.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Jakalope

John, what you need to do now to insure you have not went too far, is remove the air cleaner and then start the car...make sure that after 2-3 minutes the choke plate will return to verticle...if not you will be running with the choke on all the time(at least partially) and you will be running terribly rich....that means extra wear on cylinders and horrible fuel economy...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani