automatic transmission on a baywindow?

Hi All,

I'm checking for baywindows and I found a camper with automatic transmission. Has anybody any experience with this kind of transmission on a bus? How is it compared with the manual counterpart?

thanks Ant

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks but my penis, breasts and mortgage have exactly the right size. Not interested in your spam

Reply to
Ant

That automatic has a very good record. I would expect rebuild parts would be hard to find, but in that event convert it to manual. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

In Europe the automatic Bays always had a 2L engine = Thirsty!!

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I drove a friendsauto around and can tell you its hard to say VW and automatic in the same sentince for me, but it seem to drive just fine when I stop looking or the clutch

"why did I hit the brakes ? Didn't you see that damn squire? Yea thats it

I had 2 bay westys in Germany and didn't know they came in that flavor.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Hey thanks a lot, but I was mainly looking for info because I saw an automatic camper and I had doubts about the reliability of such system, although the owner says it works very well (of course!) ;)

Ant

Bart Bervoets wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

I have a scrap one with automatic, willing to strip. Let me know if interested, i am in SA but can ship at reasonable rates.

Bart Bervoets "Kafertoys" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m12.aol.com...

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Apparently there were at least three different automatics used in baywindow buses. I was helping someone find some parts (Chris Grey, where's my money?) and discovered that there were some differences. Don't know if one was better than the other, but I suspect that the '76 and later were probably the best... - BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

This is only partly true. They came with a 1700, 62 bhp initially (the manual 1700s had 66 bhp), and got the engine upgrades to 1800, 68 bhp and 2000, 70 bhp respectively at the same time as the manuals did.

It *is* true however that there were no 1600, Type 1 engine automatic Buses. But one would not really want one anyway, since even a 2000 auto isn't really much faster than a 1600 manual.

It is *also* true that auto Buses are thirsty. A Type 4 engine isn't very economical by itself, and an auto tranny doesn't help. In poor condition, you can expect twice the fuel that a good 1600 manual would consume.

But they *are* fun. :-)

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Learn something new everyday..... Never seen anything but the

2L/Auto combo myself.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg