Axial play in distributor normal?

Finishing touches on engine.... installed the rotor and I can move it around 10 degrees with zero resistance. Then 10 more degrees with some resistance.

There is also a very distinct 'clunk' at the end of the zero resistance part. Is the dist bad? It has almost zero radial lay (ie, i cant wiggle it around at all....)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Nor-Cal VW's

ok... I think I got the axial and radial wrong....

what i can do now is rotate the rotor with no resistance... is that bad?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Reply to
Nor-Cal VW's

ok. thats what I am seeing. thanks.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

You're talking about rotational play.

There will be rotational free play between the dist and the drive gear. This is normal. After you take out the free play you should be able to feel the mech advance, which feels like you're twisting against a spring. When you come to the end of the advance you should run into a hard stop. If you then release the rotor, it should snap back smartly. If it is sticky it will not advance smoothly.

That clunk happens when you run into the end of the rotational free play.

Side play (side to side) should be unnoticable.

End play (up and down) should be less than a 2-3 mm.

-

Jim Adney

yes! that was the word.... my technical english is getting rusty...

all good then.

ok. good disttributor it seems. will not argue as it costed me US$20

thanks,

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski