Axle nut removal and Broken drum splines

Hello RAMVA! Some of you may remember some days ago, I posted a message about some tranny/axle problems. Speedy jim pointed me in the right direction (thanks) and just as he said, it was broken drum splines on the passenger side. BTW, there are a couple of broken CV joint boots. Well, I have been trying to remove the axle nut for two days now with no luck, even though I have the leverage to apply enough force to drive the nut out. Since the drum is detached from the axle, any force applied to the nut is dissipated through the movement of the axle - differential - transmission - flywheel - etc.

How can I remove this nut? Is there a "right" way to prevent the axle from moving while I drive the nut?

TIA, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

hehehe, another problem.

1st. The drum is on. 2nd. No handbrake

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

transmission -

................Put the drum back on and set the hand brake.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Air impact wrench. Local tire shop.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Tasted the Egg Nog Tim? :o)

He never got the drum removed since the splines are gone and he cant turn the nut because the axle is turning with it.... (Insert KaferDaves Bronx something here (pffftt).

The only sound solution I see at this stage wold be taking the car to a olace where they do Tires on big rigs, their air driven impact guns should be able to free the nut. Apply handbrake and leave the tranny in first gear....

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Jim, is there a simple mechanical way of doing this? I mean, I don't want to tow the car to a tire shop just to remove an axle nut. And won't even think about buying an impact wrench and compressor. There must be a way, and I kind of hope you know how.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

................OK Karls. Here's an idea that can't fail:

...........Drive it, push it, or drag it to a shop that works on large trucks. Ask them to get out their pneumatic impact wrench. Not the little one that they use most of the time for small jobs but the big mother that cranks out 500 or maybe even 600 ft/lbs of torque. Stand back and watch them either spin that nut off of that axle in seconds or destroy the axle trying. You say that its got broken splines so either way will work for you..........maybe.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

No hand brake. Also, read my reply to Jim. Come on! That nut has offended my ego. I want to get it out, no towing, no tire shop, no air impact tool. Is there a way to stop the axle from moving? to hold it still?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

The "simple" way would be to cut the nut and splitting it with a chissel, hard work though........

J.

Reply to
BergRace

I thought about it, It even has a couple of dents from my chisel. But i decided to ask you first, just in case there is another way. if no one comes up with something, tomorrow that nut won't live to see the sunset (kinda feel like clint eastwood. ;) )

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

............he heh.........You caught me that time Joern. I misunderstood his post and thought that he had removed the drum. I guess it would've need to be a type3 for my twisted logic to make any sense..........lol

btw............I could use some good strong egg nog right now. Got a good recipe?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

If I am understanding correctly - Having the wheel on and in contact with the ground is not enough resistance I assume. What if you took a piece of flatbar steel stock say, 1/4" X

1" X 3ft Oops! Don't know what would be standard where you live, but about 25mm X about 6mm thick flatbar about a meter long, drill holes to fit over two lug bolts (wheel mount bolts) and allow it to leverage against the ground. Am I envisioning your predicament correctly?

posted a message

the right

splines on the

boots. Well, I

with no luck, even

the nut out. Since

the nut is

differential - transmission -

prevent the axle from

Reply to
Busahaulic

Reply to
Ilambert

Oh yeah. The splines are stripped! Hmmm. Back to the drawing board! Sorry - didn't think it out too well.

in

meter

news:bso799$f7au5$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-209996.news.uni-berlin.de...

in

drum

joint

drive

Reply to
Busahaulic

Sorry Tim. Egg nog is not a tradition in this country, I do however suspect it being no more than eggs beaten with sugar(And fortified with your favorite alcohol, ofcause!!), we used to get that as treats when being kids, and since I'm still only a kid I sometimes treat myself to this delight to the very day!! Don't overdo it though, makes you real nausius(SP?) (ask me how I know)

Reply to
BergRace

When you say "drum is detached from the axle", does that mean it is still in place, but can rotate independently?

Make an anti-torque brace. Wait a minute while I go out and take a picture...

.... OK. I'm back.

http://63.230.74.177/baja/MVC-123F.JPG This is meant for use on the drum. It's about a meter long. I attach the end with the holes (pictured) to the brake drum with a couple lug-nuts. The other end rests on the ground (to the left if you are loosening the castle nut) keeping the drum from rotating.

Now, since you have stripped spines and and IRS car, you might be able to make a similar torque brace that bolts to the flange in the inside of the trailing arm. You can see the exposed flange in the shot of my squareback.

http://63.230.74.177/squareback/MVC-021F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

The reason for the whole exersise is the lack of splines... ;o)

J.

Reply to
BergRace

if there is no other option, I'll split it. fortunately, I live in wonderland, and I can have a custom made nut in 24 hours... I just hate Axle nuts.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Okay, okay... I have never been under a '73 SuperBeetle - Are they IRS? Is there not a flange on the inside of a stub axle that he can attach a leverage bar to?

message

news:oQNHb.252702$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att .net...

and in

assume.