Backfiring question

Hi All!

I finally got to time my bug. I must admit I'm not very good at it - it looked to be about 5 or 6 degrees off and it wouldn't move much - no power. I retimed it - 30 degrees btdc (009 distributor) with my boyfriend stepping on the gas - I do not know for sure if it was 3000 rpm, but I'm pretty sure it was above it. I used a static timing light and kinda had a hard time of it - it seemed that the number showing during the timing light flash would jump around alot especially at high rpms. I did my best to approximate 30 degrees btdc -- it says 30 most of the time (I have a degree wheel). Anyhow, the car drives now and moves pretty well.

That said, it is backfiring quite a bit when under load - it accelerates pretty well but backfires. Once I am up to speed and maintaining it or slowing down, it does not backfire. The car had been sitting waiting for me to time it for a while (4 months maybe?) and the gas in it is probably a year old... Could it still be timing? Could it be old gas? Could it be something else? I have electronic ignition and I just checked the valve gaps. It is a 73 standard with a weird single weber progressive carb that I have not touched.

Thanks! Jen

Reply to
Aquarijen

Did you check your carb? Maybe the mixture is too lean or the jets are clogged.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Reply to