Bad Headlight Relay?

My 1974 Super has a headlight problem. And I am wondering if the headlight relay is bad. Here is what I have tried:

Both high beams work.

Left low beam works, but Right Low beam is out. Dimmer works fine.

Took #3 fuse out (left low beam that works), exchanged it on #4 fuse (right low beam). Still no low right beam. #4 fuse works in #3 holder, so the fuses are fine.

Disconnected #4 fuse wire that runs from fusebox to headlight. Hooked a wire from battery positive to this wire. Low right beam works.

Connecting this wire to other terminals (like #7) results in no low right headlight. But when I taped the #4 wire to the #3 wire, both headlights work. So as a temporary solution, I put a 16 amp fuse in #3 holder. Basically, both lights are running on the #3 fuse now.

Is the headlight relay bad? Or is it possible to know from this?

Lynn

1974 Super
Reply to
Lynn Martin

I can say for sure that the relay (aka dimmer) is OK.

This is a fuse problem, or a fuseholder problem.

Look on my web site: Electrical/Headlight section There is a simplified diagram which will show how the circuit works.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim