Baffling starter?

I just changed my starter on my 77 (stock FI) Bug. I put it a rebuilt autostick one.

After installing and connecting everything, it would not turn over. I removed it and did a quick bench trial. It seemed OK.

Reinstalled it, same thing, not even a click. So I jumped the connections with a screwdriver and it started! What is more puzzling is the I had my flowmeter out of the car and yet it ran. I started it a few times w/o the flowmeter in place.

Can anyone explain what happened with the starter and how my Bug ran w/o the flowmeter? Anyone who has the FI Bug knows that a small vac hose leak will stall the car...

Reply to
Mel P.

Use your tester to see if there is 12V on the Red/Blk wire on the solenoid when the key is turned to Start. If not, then something has come loose (under back seat) or else the Ignition switch may be faulty.

There could be enough residual pressure in the fuel ring for it to start.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Like Speedy Jim said......ign switch, wire connection/junction under the rear seat near the battery. The ign switch can sometimes be faulty and not let enough current flowing through it to energize the starter. Test to see if the starter will activate from that wire under the rear seat to help you determine which direction the problem might lie at. Hopefully there is no alarm nor starter cut-off switch on your Bug. AND if this Bug was originally an Auto-Stick then there is a wiring plug that should have been jumped by the front of the transmission.

So your engine runs with the Air Flow Box completely removed from the engine? IT RUNS? REALLY? It might start but it should not run since I think that the fuel pump relay gets a signal from the Air Flow Box to send power to the fuel pump when the engine is running. The Cold Start Valve might allow the engine to start, but not run. AND if you have enough fuel to go along with a vacuum leak then the engine will continue to run. Usually at a faster idle too! ;-)

Of course I have not owned a FI-ed Beetle for over a couple of decades, so I forget a lot!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

do you have a "Easy Start" kit installed. I always add a Ford style secondary solenoid to make that connection from the battery to the starter solenoid. Ghia's have the battery right there in the engine compartment.

Reply to
A VFW

I'd hope he doesn't have that.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

That auxiliary relay/solenoid fix has been recommended by BOSCH! At least for some of the VWs. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

by BOSCH.... I see.... VW didn't deem it necessary, but they aren't trying to sell you a relay either...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

They should have put one in there from the factory. The stock setup is clearly not up to the task, seeing as how it fails every 40 years or so.

:)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

That is an excellent point! lol

But even you must admit that th>>> That auxiliary relay/solenoid fix has been recommended by BOSCH!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1