Baja-esque question

My girlfriend has moved to a fairly rural part of arkansas. She's concerned about driving her '69 bug up and down the miles of unmaintained dirt roads she lives around. I suggested she consider doing the baja thing, but she didn't sound particularly thrilled with the idea of cutting the car up. I got to thinking, though, that she could still do a baja suspension setup to give her more ground clearance. Does anyone have any advice as to raising an IRS-equipped Bug?

thanks,

gary

Reply to
Gary

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 06:35:38 GMT, Gary left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

AIR-ADJUSTABLE SHOCK ABSORBERS * Great for carrying extra passengers or heavy loads * Add extra carrying capacity?maintain vehicle level with a cushion of air * Stop sagging rear end - raise rear of vehicle to 4", adjust easily to desired height

Increase tire clearance and improve traction. Replace present rear shocks. Easy to install. Includes installation kit and instructions. Fit '69-79 Beetle, Super Beetle, Ghia and '69-72 Fastback and Squareback.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

...back is easy. Just re-adjust tortion bars. While you are at it replace those worn out bushings =-) Or you could take shaggies suggestion and go with air shocks if you want the easy slightly unprofessional method. To raise the front you have two options. Adjustable beam, or raised spindles. But I have to ask....just how rough are these roads? Even in stock trim the beetle can handle quite a few obstructions...

Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 08:47:35 -0400, Gary Tateosian left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

That's what I was thinking, too. The reason I made a baja out of my bug was that I would take my stock bug camping and go over some pretty rough stuff. I started thinking "Damn, this car does really great off-road. What could I do to make it better than just 'really great'..? What could I do to make it... LEGENDARY?" ;-P And so was born... THE LEGEN...... Ah, you know the rest. heh heh

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

Travis is right

href="