Ball joint removal( this is what I did)

Thought this might be helpful to some. Actually might save you some time. I am redoing my front beam from a 75' donor and wanted the old joints out and new one's pressed in. No big deal I thought. Bentley's treated it as second nature. So, I carried the old and new down to the recomended guy in town. On first sight, he was unsure he could do it. He gave it a go anyway. No luck - he managed to push the ball straight out of the joint and nothing else. Time is money, as they say, so he suggested I give it a go myself and offered pointers on what to do. First attempt involve red hot heating and a 5lb hammer - no luck it moved only slightly and once it was flush with the arm I had nothing else to bang on. What worked was to hacksaw from the inside out. Cut just one thin line through the ball housing and it knocks out easily. To do the next one I grinded off the backside of the joint until I could beat out the ball part and then used the hacksaw as above. That is the way the next two will be done also. It took only about 10-15 minutes to do it that way. Of course now the new joints can be pressed in by the same guy without a problem.

Reply to
69 ground up

I had the ball joints in my 79 vert replaced the other day. I took the control arms to a shop and had them removed and replaced. I asked him to press out the sway bar bushings at the same time. He said they looked ok to him. I explained that I was going to replace them with the urathane bushings, and they did not need to be pressed in. He told me I was wrong and did not want to press out the bushings. After reading some suggestions I did something like what you did. I drilled all the rubber in the sway bar bushing. Leaving only the betal band in the control arm. I then used a hand held jig saw and a metal cutting blade and made two cuts near each other. Pried the metal band out, cleaned up the hole, and slid in the new urathane bushings Craig

Reply to
Craig

If the new bushings would slide in by hand then they are likely to move around in use. This will wear them out and they will fail. Sounds like you were better off before you started down this road.

-

Jim Adney