Ball joints

Anybody know how to get them off? I've got a 66 in need of new tie rod ends and ball joints. Are there any Bug specific presses I should look into? Or some kind of homemade device?

TIA, John

Reply to
JS

The last ones I had pressed out by a shop took 13 metric tons before they poppe3d out.

I don't think any homemade device could hack it.

You could try heat with a weaker press.

What I do is I take the arms out and take them to a shop that does balljoints. Lucky me, my friend works for one.

Note the direction during assembly... they only move in one direction. The housing is marked, as is the arm. (underneath all that crud and dirt)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

agreed... take the arms off and take them to a shop to have new joints pressed in.

I bought new ball joints and took the arms off, cleaned them up and took them to a guy and he had them done in about 20 minutes. charged me $20. some places wanted $20 an arm. so watch out for the hi-way robbers who charge too much!

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver
Reply to
dragenwagen

And you'll want to buy this lever-action tool to get the ball joint studs out of the spindles:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

JS

Ooops, never mind. I just read what you wrote again. Disregard the last post.

John

JS

Wow! One place I went wanted $85/arm and the other wanted $165 for all 4! I already have the ball joints! These were both VW places too!

Jay

Reply to
Jay McGraw

I paid $20/arm with my own ball joints, the only other option I saw was a mail order company and they wanted $80 + shipping and my old arms returned , I forget but I think it was in Ca, so with sipping both ways I figured it was cheaper to pay locally (east coast). Dave

Reply to
David

"JS" wrote in news:cZQnd.98177$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com:

Take it from someone who like to do it their self, take them somewhere and let a pro do this. I did mine myself with a press we have(uses a hyd. jack) and it was a very scarry process as it took loads of pressure to move them and when they did move it sounded like someone set off a small explosive device in your face. READ DANGEROUS

Pressing them back in was a breeze. Mine were 68 vintage and probably had never been changed.

Reply to
TerryB

Well I have the correct specific press and it makes it really easy to change them all out, but the tool IIRC cost me around $300 back almost 20 years ago.

take off the arms and have a shop install them for you but make sure that the shop knows how to align the ball joints properly before they press them in! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I have a tool that cost the same that allows you to change ball joints on the car.

Mario Vintage Werk restorations the right tools to break balls (free)

Reply to
Kafertoys