Ball joints -- couple of questions

Hey there, does anyone where one can purchase balljoints that have zerks on them? Is such thing in existance? Would this (

) work for pressing in balljoints? Anyone have any experience with this specific tool or this type of tool (the C-Clamp type)? I figure if it costs 30$ to get ONE pressed in (as I was quoted...ridiculous), I'd rather do it myself and save some money. I've heard about using bottle jacks, but I can't weld and thus couldn't make myself a frame.Suggestions would be great -- I don't want to piss my cash into someone else's wallet...

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

...............Modern day balljoints are all sealed units that aren't supposed to ever need additional grease. Shop around your area for a machine shop that is more reasonable. There are a few here in my area that will press in ball joints for about $10 each.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

there are various vendors you can order "rebuilt" trailing arms, complete with new balljoints...works out alot cheaper than taking them to a local shop with balljoints in one hand and trailing arms in the other....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Kevin, Don't buy the tool. I did and then found out that the "cups" are not the correct size. Find a cheaper machine shop. BTW, I installed zerks on all the front end components myself. Before they are installed, drill a proper hole, tap it and screw the fittings in. Can give you more detailed instructions off NG.

El Paso Bob

71 Std 1776 Baja
Reply to
The Joneses

How do you keep the metal shavings from drilling out of the hole you drill? That would be worse than having no zerk fittings if you don't keep them out.

Reply to
User Example