battery

No batteries in town that fit the Bug, so I'm thinking of mounting a larger one forward, or maybe two 6V in series.

But you all know what my thinking amounts to - usually trouble.

Input?

Reply to
John J

Seen that done a few times ie a 6volt on either side of tunnel. Bit of rerouting and extending cables but works a treat. Whats the problem with not being able to get batteries, too tall?. Dont know about the battery up the front. You want to keep the main feed to starter as short as possible. Then again BMC Mini,s had the battery in the boot and engine in front so if the cable is thick enough..... John

Reply to
John

=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDJohn

What about changing the lengths of the battery cables for a more common battery that your parts store will have on hand.

I have a customer install a slightly taller side post battery that would also fit his chevy truck, all he needed was the screw in post. It also stoped any chance of the seat springs from touching the post and shorting.

Reply to
Kafertoys

WHAT? Where do you reside where you can not find a group size 42 or maybe one with similar dimensions? Walmart should even carry them or Sam's Club or Sears or maybe a Optima battery might work. Even the AAA Motor Club can usually bring you a battery that will fit.

Of course if you want double 6 volt batteries...........go for it! ;-)

JMHO! later, One out of many daves

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Just make sure the battery posts are in the right position and most 12 Volt battery's will fit, you might not be able to use the stock lid or retainer strap, except for that there is plenty of room. To avoid corrosion and protect against shorts you could place it in one of those generic plastic boxes often used in caravans and boats.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I got a Die Hard battery at Sears about two years ago. It is still going strong. Check the labels for date of manufacture and electrolyte fill date. The second is an oval sticker I think. They might try and sell you an old battery. I have tried batteries at Advance Auto and O Reily=92s auto parts. They lasted about two years. They did not last as long as the Auto Zone batteries. The last time I checked, Auto Zone only sells the =91el cheapo=92 batteries for my =9173 Beetle.

Next time I would like to try a side mount battery with a ridge near the bottom so the hold down clamp will work. I am tempted to try an Interstate battery, but I think a battery from Sam=92s Club would work just fine.

In this DVD they show how you can use any battery that has the same dimensions of your stock original battery. You might have to get longer cables. I like the idea of converting to a side post battery though.

Bug Me Video (How-to DVD series), Volume 10, Electrical Troubleshooting

This important thing is to shield or cover the positive cable clamp with something to keep it from shorting against the seat springs. Use one of those rubber cable protectors or even a rubber floor mat.

Speedy Jim liked my idea of cutting a hole in a tennis ball and using that for a cover. He might have been kidding though.

Here is a quote from Rob and Dave=92s vw-resource.com.

modern battery which is about the same physical size as theoriginal VW battery will work fine. Just make sure it has a ridge nearthe bottom so the hold-down bracket will work. If the battery hasexposed terminals it should be covered by a piece of rubber matting orsimilar to prevent shorts with a couple of big folks in the back. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~On Mar 28, 6:07=A0pm, John J wrote:> No batteries in town that fit the Bug, so I'm thinking of mounting a> larger one forward, or maybe two 6V in series.>

Reply to
Jim347a