Battery voltage drops while starting, any help?

My buggy (with a 1500cc motor) turns over very slowly, and hasn't turned over fast enough to start the engine on its own. I've push started it several times, and let it idle in an attempt to charge the battery, but no luck. I put a voltmeter on the battery leads and it reads right on 6 volts at rest. However, when we go to crank the motor, the voltage jumps way down to around 2.5-3.0 volts. Is this normal? Do most batteries lose that much voltage during starting? Should the voltage stay the same? Is this a sign that the battery is shot? The battery looks fairly new, and is an Interstate battery. Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks.

-- Steve G

Reply to
Steve Gift

Get a new batt. according to my volt gauge, when i start, it goes from 12+ volts and the meter just DROPS until the car starts. It pulls the meter almost to nothing. Its a fresh batt too. But yes, get a new batt, it will fix the prob. To many deep cycles of letting the batt die will drain it, and that way it won't retain a charge. Also, take the batt to kragen, they will test it, and let you know. (for free) ~Peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like I need a new battery. I was thinking that all along, but wanted to hear the opinions. Cleaned all of the connections, and thought I had it right, but the volts just dump way down. It only takes a few minutes to swap a new one in. Hopefully that's the cure.

-- Steve G

Reply to
Steve Gift

let us know if it works out alright ~peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

I had exactly the same problem a few days ago. I solved it completely by recharging the battery, now it's fine. I'd put my bet on a new/recharged battery to solve that problem.

Ant

Steve Gift wrote:

Reply to
Ant

Normally you can get batteries tested free at auto parts stores, but I don't know if they have the capability to test 6 volt batteries with their equipment.

You could buy a hydrometer (battery tester) at the parts store, and test it yourself. They are cheap - much cheaper than a new battery!

But it sounds to me like you have a cell or two that are going bad.

If you DO take your battery or starter in to have them tested, make SURE you tell them that they are 6 volt items!!! Otherwise they might pump 12V through your starter and do some damage.

Reply to
Patrick

Yeah, I wanted them to test the battery (AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts) and they said they couldn't do a 6 volt. Might have been the kids working that didn't know, but they told me they couldn't. I sure as heck hope its the battery. I was looking into a 12v conversion, but it just costs more than I want to spend right now (over $200 w/ battery). I found a local auto parts store that could get a 6 volt battery in by tomorrow afternoon. I've been having the toughest time finding someone that carried them, or could even get them in!! I will be picking that up tomorrow afternoon, and installing it in the evening. I'll keep you updated, but please hope that I post that the battery was the fix!! Thanks guys.

Reply to
Steve Gift