Beetle to Ghia transplant?

My son has a 1970 Karmann Ghia restoration project car that features the infamous Autostick tranny. We have a totally rotten Beetle of the same year with a manual gearbox.

Does anyone have any experience with transplanting the necessary manual tranny guts to an Autostick vehicle? I have the impression from past threads that the tunnel has the same 'plumbing' setup for cables no matter which system it ended up with at the factory, but would appreciate hearing about anyone's real-world experience with this sort of operation.

Thanks,

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

3......

2......

1......

Speedy !!!!!

you'll see ;)

Reply to
Tricky

I will say that on a '70 there is a good chance that you will need to install the conduit tube for the clutch cable. But maybe Ghia chassis' all had them; early Beetles didn't.

You're ahead of the game by having a donor of the same year. The tranny will bolt right up. You'll need the shift rod from the Beetle.

If you're taking the engine from the donor as well, that makes it a lot easier.

A Brit name of Matt Claydon wrote a very detailed web page all about the conversion. His site went missing some years ago but thru the magic of the "Way Back" machine, the page has been archived here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hey Al I just finished doing a semi-auto to 4 speed conversion on a

72super and this did not have a clutch tube, so I had to add it. I'm sure you will find the lack of a tube in the 70 ghia.

It will require cutting an access hole opposite the pedal assembly. You will also have to cut a hole in the rear near were the accelerator cable leave the rear of the tunnel.

Other then that haveing a parts car with all the parts needed should make it much easier.

needed is the pedal assemble 4 sp shifter assembly bowden tube fly wheel and new clutch assembly

You also need a way to seal off the vacuum port on the semi-auto intake manifold.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

No bondo was used in the making of this post

Reply to
Kafertoys

Mario Gavazzi Vintage Werks:

Tricky

HaHaHaHa!!! Am I *that* predictable?

Nice one, Tricky.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

So, how long did it take to fabricate a clutch tube out of Bondo?

Oh, and I almost forgot to add.......

Mario Gavazzi Vintage Werks:

Leopold Stotch

Mario Gavazzi Vintage Werks:

> My son has a 1970 Karmann Ghia restoration project car that features the

Mario Gavazzi Vintage Werks:

Scott H